Welcome to Lehman College’s Office of Assessment and Educational Effectiveness.
Lehman College’s success in fulfilling its mission, vision, and strategic goals depends on the contributions of all of its academic programs, Academic and Educational Support (AES) units, and leadership in achieving its goals. In ongoing collaboration with faculty, leadership and administration, the Senate Assessment Committee, and the Office of Institutional Research, the Office of Assessment and Educational Effectiveness facilitates the systematic collection, review, and use of information to evaluate the extent of student achievement of institutional and program learning outcomes. In doing so, it fosters continuous institutional improvement, enhances educational effectiveness and advances the College’s ability to transform the lives of its students.
Goal 1: Facilitate Lehman College's assessment activities. Facilitate the systematic collection, review and use of information to evaluate the extent of student achievement of institutional and program outcomes, as well as the achievement of support and performance outcomes.
Goal 2: Provide professional development to the Lehman community. Offer workshops to faculty, staff and administrators on assessment practices and processes. Provide consultations on assessment to faculty, staff, and administrators.
Goal 3: Provide assessment resources to the Lehman community. Maintain the Institutional Effectiveness web pages on assessment, accreditation, academic program review, and the Performance Management Process (PMP).
Goal 4: Report on assessment activity. Provide an annual report on assessment activity to the Lehman community published on the Institutional Effectiveness web pages.
The Office of Assessment and Educational Effectiveness
- Collaborates with faculty in devising and implementing program-level assessments plans
- Provides professional development workshops and other assessment-related activities to sustain and strengthen a culture of evidence and improvement on campus
- Coordinates assessment of Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
- Serves as a general resource on assessment issues
- Communicates assessment activities to the college community
- Keeps abreast of best-practices in assessment
- Reviews technological resources to facilitate organized and effective assessment efforts
- Works to ensure that accreditation requirements related to assessment are being met
Assessment at Lehman College:
Lehman College adopted and implemented a uniform six-step assessment process for both academic and Administrative and Educational Support (AES) units.
The six steps, followed in academic and AES assessment are:
- Step 1: Develop student learning outcomes or performance outcomes that align with Lehman College's mission, its institutional learning goals, and, where applicable, accreditation requirements;
- Step 2: Determine or modify criteria for measuring success;
- Step 3: Develop and implement methods of assessment involving direct and indirect measures;
- Step 4: Collect and analyze data;
- Step 5: Plan and carry out improvement initiatives, and;
- Step 6: Document assessment and improvement activities.
Steps 4-6 Lay out the annual assessment cycle that is part of the multi-year six-step process.