ePermit facilitates the process of CUNY students obtaining permission to register for courses offered at other CUNY and Non-CUNY colleges. After you have submitted your ePermit, please allow ample time for the processing of your application(s).
Prior to taking courses at another college (CUNY or Non-CUNY), students should inquire at the HOST College for registration dates and procedures governing visiting CUNY students on permit.
An ePermit does not automatically register a student for a course, nor does issuance of an ePermit guarantee enrollment at the HOST College. Once you have enrolled at the HOST College, cancellation of an ePermit does not delete your course registration.
Students who wish to take a course at a CUNY College other than their HOME College, will need to file for an ePermit using CUNYfirst. The CUNYfirst process will allow students to request permission from their HOME College to attend the other CUNY College(s) and enroll for course(s) throughout CUNY based on established Transfer Rules.
Each permit request is for a single course and its equivalent. Thus, a student needs to complete a permit request for each equivalent course he/she would like to take at other CUNY College(s). Tuition is charged and paid at a student’s HOME College. However, material fees pertaining to a specific course(s) are paid at the HOST College(s).
Who is eligible to use the ePermit approval request system?
- Students that are enrolled as a degree seeking student
- Undergraduate students with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.00
- Graduate students with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.00
- Students cannot have any holds on their records
- Students must meet all HOME College registration requirements, such as residency and immunization
- Newly admitted and continuing Macaulay Honors College, ROTC and CUNY BA students with advisor approval.
Note: Newly admitted transfer students may take an ePermit in their first semester. To submit a request, the student must visit the Office of the Registrar, located in Shuster Hall, Room 102.
Applying for an ePermit
To apply for an ePermit, kindly sign in to CUNYfirst and use the instructions listed HERE . Please note that students can select multiple institutions for each course and its equivalent. Students should not submit multiple requests per institution for the same course. Students must submit their ePermit request before the deadline stated in the academic calendar. Any ePermit request submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Students who wish to take a course at an institution college outside of the CUNY system will need to file for a Non-CUNY permit application. The process will allow students to request permission from Lehman College to attend other college(s) and enroll for courses.
Applying for a Non-CUNY permit
To apply for a permit outside of the CUNY system, visit the Office of the Registrar, located in Shuster Hall, Room 102 to pick up a Non-CUNY permit application. Students must visit a department advisor in order to establish an equivalency for approval. If the student receives any form of Financial Aid, they must visit the Financial Aid Office, located in Shuster Hall, Room 136, for approval. Students must submit their Non-CUNY application before the deadline stated in the Academic Calendar. Any permit request(s) submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Student Rights & Responsibilites
- Permit course: Each permit request is for a single course and its equivalent. Thus, a student needs to complete a permit request for each equivalent course he/she would like to take at other CUNY Colleges.
- Course grade: Courses will be transferred to the HOME College and recorded with the grade assigned by the HOST College which will be included in the combined GPA. The number of credits transferred for each course will be the value assigned by the HOST College and not the HOME College. (e.g., ENGL 178 is 4 credits at HOME College, an equivalent course taken on permit is 3 credits at the HOST College; upon transfer the student is awarded 3 credits on their HOME College transcript with the HOST College's name duly noted.)
- Course cancellation: If a student enrolls in a course at the selected HOST College and decides not to attend the course, it is the student’s responsibility to cancel the course registration at both the HOME and HOST campuses as well as the ePermit request. The student must notify his/her HOME College of the cancellation before classes begin to avoid a tuition liability and to prevent any academic consequences. ePermit course cancellation adheres to the CUNY refund policy dates and deadlines published in the academic calendar.
- Financial Aid: It is the student’s responsibility to make certain that his/her total credits meet financial aid eligibility and credit load requirements. Students should meet with an academic advisor at their HOME College with any course related questions. Questions concerning financial aid can be addressed by a financial aid counselor at the HOME College.
- Tuition: Tuition is charged and paid at a student’s HOME College. Students eligible for financial aid are to apply through their HOME College and are responsible for meeting any credit load requirements. Tuition is calculated based on the HOST College credits. Courses for which material fees are applied are paid by the student to the HOST College.