INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AND SCHOLAR OFFICE – International Programs & Community Engagement Division
MISSION: ISSO is dedicated to providing services, programs and activities that facilitate U.S immigration compliance and cross-cultural learning experiences that help students and scholars meet their academic, personal growth and professional goals.
Prospective & Newly Admitted International Students -International Students are non-U.S. citizens, who require an F-1 student visa to enter the U.S. and an F-1 student non-immigrant status to temporarily stay.
1. How do I obtain the F-1 student visa and the F-1 status? You must first be admitted to Lehman College and then apply for the Lehman College I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. Read the FAQs below then follow Steps 1 & 2 listed in our website: https://www.lehman.edu/students/international-students/
2. I am applying to Lehman College as a new student currently living in my home country. This will be my the first time entering the US for the purpose of studying. Do I need an I-20 Form to apply for the F-1 visa? Yes.
3. I am an F-1 student already in the U.S attending another College. I am transferring to Lehman. Do I need a Lehman I-20? Yes, you need a Lehman I-20 to maintain your F-1 status. You will also need to transfer your F-1 records from your current institution to Lehman. My F-1 visa in my passport has expired. Do I have to return to the U.S. Embassy to renew it before I transfer my F-1 status to Lehman? No. You will only need to renew your F-1 Visa if you plan to go home for vacation. You will need it to re-enter the U.S.
4. When can I complete and submit the Lehman College I-20 application? After you have received official notification of your admissions to Lehman College.
5.Are there any circumstances where I could obtain the Lehman I-20 before being admitted to the College? No. The federal government only permits eligible students to obtain the I-20, after being admitted.
6. How can I make an appointment to discuss the I-20 application process and other F-1 student requirements and benefits? First review our website: https://www.lehman.edu/students/international-students/mail, email@example.com for an appointment. Enter New/Prospective Student Appointment Request in email subject section.
- If you have been admitted to Lehman College. Attach your admissions letter. Provide name, empl i.d., phone number, and email address
- If you have not applied or been admitted to Lehman, Please indicate this in your email text. Provide name, phone number, and email address
6. When can I apply for the F-1 visa?
You can apply for the F-1 visa after receiving your Lehman College I-20.
7. What can I do if the US Embassy Consulate Visa Section is closed or I am unable to obtain the F-1 visa to enter the U.S. ?
Defer your admissions or enroll in on-line courses in your home country. To do this Email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you were accepted to a Bachelor’s Degree Program. If you were accepted to a Master’s Program, notify email@example.com. Also Email: Attention DSO; firstname.lastname@example.org We will re-issue your I-20 for the following semester
8. What is the practice for obtaining and maintaining F-1Visa/Status? See Continuing Student Section below
CONTINUING STUDENTS: To ensure status maintenance and receive answers to your individual questions, in a timely fashion. Be proactive. Know your College’s Designated School Official and only take advice regarding the F-1 visa requirements from your College's DSO. Know your F-1 status responsibilities and benefits. Continue to regularly check-in with ISSO, review this website, your email and social media accounts for on-going international student information and updates from your DSOs and International Student & Scholar Office Peer Educators. Attend all Zoom and in-person workshops. Meet all status, requirements, and deadlines. Email email@example.com for specific questions. Place your name and emple i.d. in email subject section when you email. Don’t wait until the last minute to satisfy your f-1 requirements, each semester.