Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
search this website
search this website

Lehman College Logo Click Here to go back to Homepage

International Student & Scholar Office | Lehman College
International Student Services at Lehman College

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AND SCHOLAR OFFICE – International Programs & Community Engagement Division

MISSION: ISSO is dedicated to providing services, programs and activities that facilitate U.S immigration compliance and cross-cultural learning experiences that help students and scholars meet their academic, personal growth and professional goals.


Prospective  & Newly Admitted International Students -International Students are non-U.S. citizens, who require an F-1 student visa to enter the U.S. and an F-1 student non-immigrant status to temporarily stay.

1.  How do I obtain the F-1 student visa and the F-1 status?  You must first be admitted to Lehman College and then apply for the Lehman College I-20 Certificate of Eligibility.  Read the FAQs below then follow Steps 1 & 2 listed in our website:

2. I am applying to Lehman College as a new student currently living in my home country. This will be my the first time entering the US for the purpose of studying. Do I need an I-20 Form to apply for the F-1 visa? Yes.

3. I am an F-1 student already in the U.S attending another College. I am transferring to Lehman. Do I need a Lehman I-20? Yes, you need a Lehman I-20 to maintain your F-1 status. You will also need to transfer your F-1 records from your current institution to Lehman.  My F-1 visa in my passport has expired.  Do I have to return to the U.S. Embassy to renew it before I transfer my F-1 status to Lehman?  No.  You will only need to renew your F-1 Visa if you plan to go home for vacation. You will need it to re-enter the U.S.  

4. When can I complete and submit the Lehman College I-20 application?  After you have received official notification of  your admissions to Lehman College.

5.Are there any circumstances where I could obtain the Lehman I-20 before being admitted to the CollegeNo. The federal government only permits eligible students to obtain the I-20, after being admitted.

6.  How can I make an appointment to discuss the I-20 application process and other F-1 student requirements and benefits?  First review our website:, for an appointment.  Enter New/Prospective Student Appointment Request in email subject section.

  • If you have been admitted  to Lehman College.  Attach your admissions letter. Provide name, empl i.d., phone number, and email address
  • If you have not  applied or been admitted to Lehman,  Please indicate this in your email text.  Provide name,  phone number, and email address

6. When can I apply for the F-1 visa?

You can apply for the F-1 visa after receiving your Lehman College I-20.

7. What can I do if the US Embassy Consulate Visa Section is closed or I am unable to obtain the F-1 visa to enter the U.S. ?

Defer your admissions or enroll in on-line courses in your home country. To do this Email: if you were accepted to a Bachelor’s Degree Program. If you were accepted to a Master’s Program, notify  Also Email: Attention DSO; We will re-issue your I-20 for the following semester

8. What is the practice for obtaining and maintaining F-1Visa/Status?  See Continuing Student Section below

CONTINUING STUDENTS: To ensure status maintenance and receive answers to your individual questions, in a timely fashion. Be proactive. Know your College’s Designated School Official and only take advice regarding the F-1 visa requirements from your College's DSO. Know your F-1 status responsibilities and benefits. Continue to regularly check-in with ISSO, review this website, your email and social media accounts for on-going international student information and updates from your DSOs and International Student & Scholar Office Peer Educators.  Attend all Zoom and in-person workshops. Meet all status, requirements, and deadlines. Email for specific questions. Place your name and emple i.d. in email subject section when you email.  Don’t wait until the last minute to satisfy your f-1 requirements, each semester.






Apply for admission to one of the following academic programs:
Undergraduate | Graduate | English as a Second Language (ESL)

Apply for your:
Form I-20 & F-1 Student Visa

Know more about:
F-1 Immigration Regulations
(Change of address, transfer, change of status, reinstatement & travel outside the U.S.)

Learn about:
F-1 Work Authorization & Regulations
(On campus employment, curricular practical training (CPT), optional practical training (OPT), economic hardship)


Students degree & non-degree, short-term scholars, research scholars & professors

Apply for your:
Form DS-2019 & J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

Know more about:
J-1 Immigration Regulations

(Change of address, health insurance requirements & travel outside the U.S.)

Learn about:
J-1 Work Authorization (Academic Training) & Regulations
(Academic training is for the J-1 students degree and non-degree categories only

Learn about the ISSO:
Office Information & Work Schedule (location, phone, email, mailing address and office work schedule)
Additional F-1 and J-1 Resources:
Essential Links (study in the states, transportation, Lehman campus life, about the Bronx, housing & health insurance
For F-1 Students / Form I-20 & F-1 Visa


Please follow the 5 Steps below to obtain a Form I-20, F-1 Student Visa & Status. If you have any questions regarding any of the steps below please contact our office for clarification.

Step 1 Apply for your form I-20Step 2 Apply for your F-1 visaStep 3 Enter the United StatesStep 4 Report to school after U.S. EntryStep 5 Maintain your F-1 status

F-1 Immigration Regulations


If you are already in the United States check this section to learn more about F-1 immigration regulations. If you have any questions regarding any of the F-1 immigration regulations below please contact our office for clarification.

Address Change regulationsSchool Transfer regulationsChange of Status regulationsReinstatement regulationsTravel in the US and outside the US regulations

F-1 Employment & Regulations


Students in F-1 status may qualify for employment under certain conditions. This section provides basic information about employment and regulations. If you have questions about or would like to determine your eligibility for F-1 employment, please contact our office.

On Campus Employment regulationsCurricular Practical Training regulationsOptional Practical Training regulationsEconomic Hardship regulations

Essential Links