Leonard Lief Library (Virtual/Closed to Visitors)
The Leonard Lief Library building is closed until further notice. However, Leonard Lief librarians are working offsite and can be reached through the 24/7 Ask-a-Librarian Chat, by email at http://lehman.edu/library/email.php, or by calling 718-960-7765.
In addition, CUNY is auto-renewing books and library materials and waiving fines. Details.
Leonard Lief Library Reopening Plan
Phase 1: Spring-Summer 2020-Physical building closed; 100 percent virtual services-faculty-staff telecommuting
Phase 2: Fall 2020-Winter 2021*
- Phased-in curbside pickup-delivery of print textbooks, circulating books, and interlibrary loan materials [returned materials must be quarantined for three-four days].
- Curbside pickup occurs in front of library entrance or lobby
- Student’s email-text requests to Circulation [Q-less reservation system]. List of students scheduled to visit campus will be submitted by Library in advance for pre-screening and access.
- Materials paged-retrieved from textbook shelves-stacks by college assistants
- Materials quarantined in book bins behind Textbook shelves
- Onsite scanning of Reserve materials
- Limited staffing with unit supervision
[M-W-F, 10-2 – Tu, Th, 2-6 – Circulation COAs-College Assistants-Head of Access Services rotating schedule to minimize overlap]
- Masking-PPE available to onsite staff
- Regular deep cleaning procedures of public space and bathrooms
- Additional budget needed for eBooks and copyright clearance
Phase 3 (Dependent on increase in on-site campus instruction)
- Limited hours of onsite Library service
- Only first floor opened – 25 percent capacity
- Access by Reservation app [Q-less] – limited visit time enforced
- Service points protected by Plexiglas shields
- Faculty-staff provided masks-PPE
- Physical distancing enforced by: removing library furniture; alternate computer terminal access; clear directional floor signage; Printing-Scanning stations staffed by IT Help Desk to minimize interactions; disposable covers for mice and keyboards; alcohol wipes provided for ongoing cleaning-disinfection of computer keyboards-mice
- Building opened limited hours [TBD]: faculty-staff work staggered shifts [in tandem with Telecommuting] to undercut crowding
- If onsite classes conducted – possibility of reopening Concourse Labs to accommodate library instruction with social distancing
*CUNY Libraries COVID-19 Task Force report contains comprehensive discussion of five-phase plan with proposed reopening procedures aligned with health and safety conditions. Read the report here.
*Proposed timeline is for illustrative purposes only. Resurgence of pandemic will result in return to previous phase.