Get Health Insurance
The Student Health Center hosts a health insurance navigator on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:30-5pm and Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:00-4pm to assist students in applying for ACA (Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare). If you are medicaid eligible (making <$16,100/year), just lost your job or health insurance, or just had a baby, you don't have to wait until November to apply. Just bring the documentation listed below and stop by the health center during the hours listed above.
If you were terminated from the CUNY United Healthcare plan in August, 2014, you may enroll in the Affordable Care Act as of July 15, 2014. You do not have to wait for the enrollment period beginning in November.
The next open enrollment period will start on November 15, 2014-February 15, 2015.
Required Documentation for Application (bring at least one item listed under each category):
- Identity/Date of Birth (birth certificate, adoption records, passport, naturalization certificate, or legal resident card)
- N.Y.S. Residence (utility bill, letter from landlord, lent leceipts, lease signed within 3 months, driver’s license issued within 3 months, or postmarked envelope - no window envelopes)
- Proof of Income (last 4 pay-stubs if weekly, last 2 pay-stubs if bi-weekly, letter from employer, or self-employed-all tax forms)
- Social Security (Social Security Card or Letter from Social Security Office)
- Immigration Status (INS Documentation)
- Resources (Bank statement)
For more information on the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare): www.nystateofhealth.com
Other insurance links: (None of the insurance plans listed below are endorsed by Lehman College or the Student Health Center)
NYC Health Insurance Link is an initiative of the Office of Citywide Health Insurance Access and Human Resources Administration/Department of Social Services.
Stu-Dent plan offered by New York University College of Dentistry provides quality dental services to restore and maintain your teeth and gums. Their low enrollment fee is less than it would cost to visit just once for a check-up, cleaning, and x-ray.
International Student Insurance and Travel Insure provide health insurance for international students, and U.S. students who are studying abroad.
Last modified: Aug 7, 2014