From the Chair
Welcome to the English Department at Lehman College, CUNY. We are a vibrant community of readers, writers, scholars, and professionals made up of students and faculty from the Bronx, New York City, and the surrounding tri-state area. Our diverse course and program offerings are available via both web-enhanced courses featuring stimulating face-to-face discussions (in smart classrooms and our new Multimodal Learning Lab) and online or hybrid courses for working or distance students.
Our Students Include:
- Undergraduate Majors in English Literature, Creative Writing, or Professional Writing who want to develop the intellectual range and analytical and research skills required for professional careers.
- The 40 talented, hard-working and ambitious Majors in the Department's multi-year English Honors Program (EHP), of which a dozen or so write senior honors theses each year, doing pre-professional research and writing in one-on-one tutorials with faculty mentors.
- Undergraduate Minors in English Literature, Creative Writing, Professional Writing, or the interdisciplinary minor in Professional Communications (open to all majors including English) who want to strengthen their transcripts with evidence of their training in analysis, research, and online writing.
- Graduate Students - many of them our own strong BA graduates! - pursuing an affordable first-rate MA in English who want to reap the rewards of working with nationally recognized scholars and creative writers in small seminar settings. Plus students from other Lehman graduate programs—including MA-English Education, MA in Liberal Studies (MALS, and MS-Literacy Studies—as well as post-MA students looking for professional promotion via graduate courses in Literature, Writing and Rhetoric, Creative Writing, and (soon!) Professional Writing.
- Undergraduate students seeking General Education and Writing Intensive courses in the broad spectrum of English, American, and Anglophone literatures in English. Plus upper-level students from all majors—including Econics and Business, Health Science, Education, Speech Pathology, Sociology, and Social Work—seeking advanced training in professional writing.
- The English Department offers one-on-one Advising for all students taking courses above the General Education level, including graduating seniors and graduate students planning their profession-level academic careers.
Lehman English Affiliates:
- The Lehman College City and Humanities Program (CA352) hosts arts performances and readings in the Studio Theater every Thursday 12:30-1:45. The HUM470 Humanities Internship sets students on the path to professional success via internships at Lehman (e.g., professorial projects, departments, ACE, SEEK, Meridian, Obscura, and much more) and in the professional world (e.g., classrooms, literary agencies, publishers, theatres, and the many opportunities made available by the CUNY Service and Cultural Corps).
- Several essential programs - including SEEK, ACE Writing Center, ADP, Lehman Scholars Program, and Macaulay Honors College at Lehman - work to support and promote student excellence and achievement. CUNY Pipeline is an important ally in preparing strong future scholars for careers as college/university professors. English Majors and Minors regularly participate (as tutors as well as student) in all of these programs.
- The Office of Prestigious Awards (OPA) (CA188) collaborates closely with all Lehman departments to groom honors-level students for prestigious scholarships, fellowships, internships, and careers, and regularly offers a course in "Writing for Prestigious Awards" through the English Department.
- The CUNY Institute for Irish American Studies (CA257A) coordinates Irish, Irish-American, and Gaelic events and events across CUNY all year. The Jaime Lucero Mexican Studies Institute (CA241) is comprised of all of the faculty, students, staff, and affiliated community-based organizations working on research, advocacy, and services related to Mexico and Mexicans in the United States. Both institutes are housed at Lehman and tap faculty and students from all Arts and Humanities departments.
- English faculty collaborate with local literary and cultural organizatons - e.g., the Bronx BookFair, the Lit Bar, The Bronx is Reading, Wave Hill, and more - for the mutual enrichment of both the community and the College.
- The English Department regularly cross-lists courses and co-sponsors events with Africana Studies, Comparative Literature, Disability Studies, Journalism and Media Studies, Latin American Latino and Puerto Rican Studies, Linguistics, Lief Library, Music Multimedia Theatre & Dance, Philosophy, and Women Studies.
- Lehman English is an active participant in several different programs at the CUNY Graduate Center, including theCUNY Digital Humanities Initiative, the CUNY Academic Commons and its Learning and Teaching Center, the CUNY Center for the Humanities, and the Ph.D. Program in English.