From the Chair
Welcome to the English Department at Lehman College, CUNY. We are a vibrant community of readers, writers, scholars, and professionals made up of students and faculty from the Bronx, New York City, and the surrounding tri-state area. Our diverse course and program offerings are available via both web-enhanced courses featuring stimulating face-to-face discussions (in smart classrooms and our new Multimodal Learning Lab) and online or hybrid courses for working or distance students.
Our Students Include:
- Undergraduate Majors in English Literature, Creative Writing, or Professional Writing who want to develop the intellectual range and analytical and research skills required for professional careers.
- The 40 talented, hard-working and ambitious Majors in the Department's multi-year English Honors Program (EHP), of which a dozen or so write senior honors theses each year, doing pre-professional research and writing in one-on-one tutorials with faculty mentors.
- Undergraduate Minors in English Literature, Creative Writing, Professional Writing or the interdisciplinary minor in Professional Communications (open to all majors including English) who want to strengthen their transcripts with evidence of their training in analysis, research, and online writing.
- Graduate Students pursuing an affordable first-rate MA in English who want to reap the rewards of working with nationally recognized scholars and creative writers in small seminar settings. Plus students in other Lehman graduate programs—including the MS-English Education, the MA in Liberal Studies, and the MS-Literacy Studies—as well as non-degree students looking for pre-MA or post-MA graduate courses in Literature, Writing and Rhetoric, Creative Writing, and (soon!) Professional Writing.
- Undergraduate students seeking General Education and Writing Intensive courses in English, American, and world literatures in English. Plus upper-level students from all majors—including Business, Nursing, Health Science, Education, Speech Pathology, Sociology, Social Work—seeking advanced training in professional writing.
- The English Department offers one-on-one Advising for all students taking courses above the General Education level, including graduating seniors and graduate students planning their profession-level academic careers.
Lehman English Affiliates:
- The Lehman College City and Humanities Program (CA352) hosts arts performances and readings in the Studio Theater every Thursday 12:30-1:45.
- The CUNY Institute for Irish American Studies (CA391) coordinates Irish, Irish-American, and Gaelic events and events across CUNY all year.
- The Office of Prestigious Awards / Beyond the Bachelors Program (CA188) collaborates with all Lehman departments to groom honors-level students for prestigious scholarships, fellowships, internships, and careers.
- The English Department regularly cross-lists courses and co-sponsors events with Africana Studies, Journalism and Media Studies, Latin American Latino and Puerto Rican Studies, Linguistics, Philosophy, and Women Studies.
- Lehman English is an active participant in several different programs at the CUNY Graduate Center, including the CUNY Digital Humanities Initiative, the CUNY Academic Commons Learning and Teaching Center, the CUNY Center for the Humanities, and the Ph.D. Program in English.