Maurice J. Power
(1838-1902) was born in County Cork, Ireland in 1838. He immigrated to the United States with his parents when he was 3 years old. At the age of 12, Power began to study monumental sculpture in stone and continued in this profession for 20 years. Power, who was active in the Democratic Party, was appointed Police Court Justice by Mayor Cooper; United Stated Shipping Commissioner for the Port of New York by President Cleveland; and Aqueduct Commissioner by Mayor R.A. Strong.
In 1868 Maurice Power established the National Fine Art Foundry on East 25th Street in Manhattan. Among the notable pieces of bronze sculpture produced by the foundry were battle monuments at Trenton and Monmouth, New Jersey; Newburg, Albany and Buffalo, New York; Augusta, Maine; Manchester, New Hampshire; Clinton, Holyoke, Lawrence and Springfield, Massachusetts; and others in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina. Power's sculpture Reverend John Hughes, 1891 is located at at Fordham University, Bronx.