Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
search this website
search this website

Lehman College Logo Click Here to go back to Homepage


What is a transfer student?

A transfer student is one who had initially enrolled in one college or university and then decided to attend another. Some transfer students may have earned an Associate’s degree, while others have not.

What is a second degree student?

A second degree student has previously earned a Bachelor’s degree and is now pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in a separate discipline.

What are the GPA requirements to enter Lehman?

The minimum requirements are as follows:

  • Students transferring fewer than 12 college credits must satisfy Lehman’s freshman admission criteria.
  • Applicants transferring from 12 to 24 college credits must satisfy either freshman admission criteria or present a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
  • Students with 24 or more credits must have a cumulative GPA of 2.3 or better.
  • Students with a CUNY/SUNY A.A. or A.S. degree must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA or better.
  • Students with an A.A.S. degree or degree from outside CUNY/SUNY must have a cumulative GPA of 2.3 or better.

Which programs require a separate application or have their own admission criteria?

Both Nursing and Social Work programs require a separate application. Please check with individual departments with regard to minimum GPA requirements for your program.

What are articulation agreements?

An articulation agreement is an agreement between two schools that allows course credit at one school to be transferred and applied toward a degree at another school. For the most part, if students successfully follow the articulation agreement they are automatically enrolled into their major of choice at Lehman. Students should consult with the appropriate department advisors with regard to any up-to-date curriculum changes after the agreement has been signed.

Will all my credits transfer to Lehman?

Students with an Associate’s degree will receive up to 70 college credits.  Students with a Bachelor’s degree or who last attended a four year institution will receive up to 90 college credits. If a student attends more than one school, the number of transferable college credits is determined by various factors. Consult the Office of Transfer Evaluations in Shuster Hall, Room 161 for more information. For students transferring from a CUNY institution, credits earned for courses in which "D" grades were received will be accepted. Credits for courses in which “D” grades or lower were earned at non-CUNY institutions will not transfer to Lehman. All courses completed will be listed on the transfer credit evaluation form.

Will my GPA from my previous institution transfer to Lehman?

No, upon transferring to Lehman your GPA will start anew.

Do I need to provide transcripts from all the schools I’ve attended even though the courses are listed on the transcript of the school I most recently attended?

Yes, all official transcripts are required for admission and are needed to determine what courses will transfer.

Do I need to list every college I’ve previously attended regardless of grades or number of credits earned?

Yes, failure to list all colleges previously attended may result in a five year suspension from CUNY.

How can I see an undergraduate academic advisor?

Students must schedule an appointment in advance to speak with an academic advisor with regard to general education requirements. For advisement within the major/minor, refer to the Common Advising dates on the website or contact the department for more information.

To schedule an appointment with an academic advisor, go to

When do I apply for financial aid?

Students should apply for financial aid at the same time that the admission application is submitted.

What tutoring resources are available?

The Instructional Support Services Program (ISSP) offers free tutoring through The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE), located in the Old Gym Building, Room 205 and through The Science Learning Center (SLC) located in Gillet Hall, Room 222. For tutoring in Math and Computer Science, students can go to the Math Lab in Gillet Hall, Room 222. SEEK students will find tutoring for a variety of courses in the SEEK tutoring program in the Old Gym Building, Room 212.

What accommodations or services are available for students with a disability?

The Office of Student Disability Services, located in Shuster Hall, Room 238, provides advocacy and advisement, assistance during registration, individual test administration, library assistance, tutoring, note-taking, classroom accommodations for eligible students, and more.

I am a Veteran/Reservist. Where can I go for my GI benefits?

The Office of Veterans and Military Affairs, located in Shuster Hall, Room 201A, provides benefits counseling, workshops, and serves as a place where you can meet other service men and women.

If I was part of the HEOP, EOP, CD or SEEK programs at my home school, is there a similar program at Lehman?

Students who participated in these programs at their previous institutions may be eligible for the SEEK program at Lehman. Visit the SEEK office, located in Shuster Hall, Room 257 to apply to the program.

When and how do I declare my major?

To officially declare a major, students must have the “Declaration of Academic Plan and Sub-Plan” form signed by faculty advisors from within the major/minor departments and returned to Shuster Hall, Room 106. Click here to print the form.