Admissions Requirements for Students Educated Outside the United States
Applicants educated outside of the United States are required to submit transcript evaluation(s) and translation(s) for each post-secondary school attended, and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores.
Who must submit a foreign transcript evaluation and translation?
The scenarios below require official foreign transcripts to be evaluated by a Foreign Transcript Evaluation Agency. Transcripts and additional documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation. CUNY Document Translation Guidelines (PDF).
- Applicants who have attended post-secondary schools outside of the United States and are currently studying in the United States on a non-immigrant (temporary) status. We define applicants in this case as international students*. If a Student Visa is needed, click on need a Student Visa for instructions.
- Applicants studying in the United States on an immigrant status (permanent resident) or who are Naturalized Citizens and completed all or part of their education outside of the United States.
- Applicants who have participated in a study abroad program.
Evaluations must include the:
- course-by-course evaluation with grade point average (GPA)
- degree evaluation, which must be equivalent to a United States Bachelor's Degree
- notarized English translation for documents in languages other than English
- See the CUNY Document Translation Guidelines.
- copy of the official transcript in the original language submitted to the evaluation service
Preferred evaluation agencies:
Evaluations and translations should be completed 8-10 weeks prior to the deadline.
We accept foreign credit evaluations from the preferred agencies listed below or you may use an agency that is currently a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Please note: We do not accept evaluations from former NACES members (i.e. Global Services Associates, Inc.).
|Academic Evaluation Services, Inc.
|Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
|SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
|World Education Services
TOEFL and IELTS
TOEFL or IELTS may be required for applicants who fit one or both descriptions below. The scores should not be more than 2 years old. The minimum TOEFL score is 500 (paper based), 61 (internet Based) and the minimum Academic IELTS score is 6. For more information, select the TOEFL or IELTS.
- Applicants who have submit academic records from a non-English speaking country.
- *International Students