Frequently Asked Questions
Self-Assessment: Is Online Study
|Can I take an
online course? Try this self-assessment
following questions, selecting how often the statement is true for you: Choose the number
that best describes your habits. Click the radio button for your response. Your answers
will be evaluated when you click on "Submit" at the bottom of the page.:
- I send e-mails to other people.
- I receive e-mails from other people
- I write letters, reports, papers, notes on a computer.
- I highlight text to copy, paste or delete
- I search the Web when I need some information.
- I keep to a regular weekly schedule of activities.
- I hand in class assignments on time.
on the submit button below to get the recommendation result.
equipment do you need to take an online course?
- Any computer on campus (at the IT Center, at the Library, in
various classroom buildings) will do.
- Any computer in your local library with a connection to the
Internet will do.
- You own home computer with an Internet connection.A dial-up
connection is OK, DSL or Cable is better.
What software will I need?
- A web browser (Netscape 4.01 or higher or Internet Explorer 4.0
or higher). Please note that Blackboard does not work with AOL's web browser. NOTE: To use
these browsers with AOL, log on to AOL as you normally do. Once signed on, go into a chat
room so that you will not be auto-logged off, then minimize the screen; AOL will continue
running. Open Netscape or Internet Explorer and use it to access any URL you wish.
- Programs recommended or required by your instructor (for
example, Microsoft Word, Excel).
- An e-mail account, provided either by the College or by an
independent Internet Provider. You can get a free Email account at MSN-Hotmail
Summary of computer
requirements for online courses
|Pentium II-class processor
Windows 98 or higher, Macintosh users - System 7
64 MB RAM
56 Kbps modem
A connection to the Internet
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher
An Email account
A word processor with the capability to save files in the Microsoft Word 6.0 (or higher)
|Pentium 3 or 4
Windows 98, 2000, or XP
Macintosh users - System 9 or OS X
128-512 MB RAM
DSL or Cable connection to the Internet
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher
An Email account
MS-Office 2000 or XP
|HOW TO LOGON TO BLACKBOARD
to Blackboard via the CUNY Portal: DO NOT USE the old Lehman Blackboard username,
password, and location!
Go to www.cuny.edu
the CUNY Portal and click on Log-in (left side)
- If you have not activated your CUNY Portal account, click on
Register now! to activate your CUNY Portal account:
Click on Student, and then fill in the Last Name, Social Security Number (no
hyphens), Birth Date (mm/dd/yyyy), click NEXT, CONFIRM the information.
You will get a USERNAME and you will be asked for a PASSWORD. Make a note of the
USERNAME and keep a note of the PASSWORD you create. If you forget these it is
complicated to reenter your account!
If you receive an error message (like One or more fields below did not exactly
match the data we have in our records. Please try again.), try again.
If you still cannot confirm your account USERNAME and PASSWORD, follow the instructions
at this site:
Questions, Answers, and Troubleshooting: http://www.lehman.edu/vpstud/registrar/cunyportal/cunyportalfaq.html
- Enter your USERNAME and PASSWORD, and click on Log In to get to your own CUNY Portal
page My Page.
- On My Page, click on Blackboard, which will bring up the Check In to
You may have to reenter your USERNAME and PASSWORD again;
This Verification page can be accessed directly (without accessing the CUNY Portal): go
- On the Check In to Blackboard Page, click on Student on the Lehman
- This will bring up your Lehman College opening Blackboard page:
- You should find your current semester classes listed
- All your classes are listed, for all of 2004, beginning with spring semester. They
are alphabetical by Course Alpha Code, e.g. ENG, POL, SOC.
- If the class has been activated you can click on the title to go to that course.
Courses that are NOT activated are followed by the comment (unavailable).
- Your instructor will activate the Blackboard site for your course, if it is to be used.
top of page