All Lehman College School of Education (SOE) students must be fingerprinted and pass a New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) background check prior to receiving fieldwork or student teaching placement assistance. You must follow the procedure below prior to receiving any assistance in securing s student teaching placement. Your status in the NYCDOE Personnel Eligibility Tracking System (PETS) must be listed as “Eligible” before you can be placed.
WHO? APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
>> YOU have 1) Social Security Number, 2) did not previously apply and 3) need fingerprinting clearance for upcoming student teaching. YOU must follow the procedure detailed on our Lehman College New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) Fingerprinting Application in Lehman 360 (follow directions in user guide to access to Lehman 360).
>> YOU were fingerprinted by NYCDOE but never submitted a School of Education fingerprinting application. Your application enables us to review and confirm eligibility.
>> YOU were fingerprinted by New York State and want to have your results shared with New York City Department of Education.
NOTE: NYCDOH and NYCDOI fingerprinting are NOT valid for NYCDOE clearance.
1) Complete our Lehman College New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) Fingerprinting Application in Lehman 360 (follow directions in user guide to access to Lehman 360) – all sections of the form must be completed in full. Lehman College will enter your information into the NYCDOE PETS system.
2) Look for a nomination email from PETS containing a fingerprinting referral form and background questionnaire. Check both your inbox and junk mail folders because the links in this email will expire 10 days after they are sent to you.
3) The online background questionnaire must be completed before you can be fingerprinted.
4) Print a hard copy of the fingerprinting referral form.
5) Have your fingerprints taken by NYCDOE at 65 Court Street in Brooklyn BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. All candidates can schedule an appointment as part of the nomination process. You must write to: HRCServiceCenter@schools.nyc.gov to schedule an appointment. NYCDOE Details: https://infohub.nyced.org/working-with-the-doe/current-employees/65-court-walk-in-center-closure
6) The fee for fingerprinting is $135 (credit and debit cards are accepted at 65 Court Street in Brooklyn). Please be advised that fingerprinting fees are non-refundable. The NYCDOE does not offer refunds for fingerprinting services even if your job offer has been withdrawn or security clearance has been denied. No exceptions.
7) Documents required for fingerprinting:
- A printed copy of the NYCDOE fingerprinting referral form
- A valid US passport
OR at least two of the following documents:
- NYS ID
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
8) Submit an OSPRA 104 form. This fillable form indicates that you will allow NYCDOE to release your background check results to the New York State Education Department, which is required for certification purposes.
NOTE: If you do not have a Social Security number, you must write to email@example.com with Full Name, EMPL ID and request information about fingerprinting without SS#.
- Lehman College New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) Fingerprinting Application You must follow the checklist and submit your Application prior to receiving any assistance in securing fieldwork placement or student teaching. Your status in the NYCDOE Personnel Eligibility Tracking System (PETS) must be listed as “Eligible” before you can work with students in any public school.
- OSPRA 104: (PDF) For those fingerprinted by NYCDOE—this form indicates that you will allow NYCDOE to release your background check results to the New York State Education Department (NYSED) for certification purposes.
- OSPRA 103: (PDF) For those already fingerprinted by NYSED—this form indicates that you will allow NYSED to release your background check results to NYCDOE.