The Dept. of MHSE offers graduate programs in English Education, Foreign Language Education, Mathematics Education, Science Education, Social Studies Education, Teaching English to Seakers of other Languages (TESOL) and Bilingual Education Students interested in obtaining a master's degree in other secondary-school certification areas should also consult information contained within this Bulletin under the relevant department(s) and meet with an adviser in the Department of Middle and High School Education. In addition, individual programs may require the fulfillment of undergraduate-level prerequisites. These prerequisites cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements in graduate programs and must be taken in addition to degree requirements. See individual program advisors for information and guidance. Middle and High School Education programs engage students in work that relates to their experiences as classroom teachers and expands their horizons to new opportunities in their schools and districts. The programs provide both theory and hands-on techniques for instruction and classroom management. An experiential, problem-solving approach to instruction combines time-honored methods with the latest technologies for building broad, transferable personal and occupational skills. Programs provide a background in theories of learning, the social and philosophical foundations of education, curriculum design, methods of teaching, and research techniques critical for all teachers.
The Evalyn and Stephen Milman Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships for Innovation in Teaching are intended to recognize educator candidates who have demonstrated excellent academic performance and strong dispositions for being outstanding educators, and/or have already demonstrated leadership skills in a discipline (e.g., Early Childhood Education, Counseling Education, or Science Education).
Master's Degree Programs
- M.A. Program in Art Education *
- M.S.Ed. Program in English Education
- M.S.Ed. Program in Health Education *
- M.S.Ed. Program in Mathematics Education, Middle Childhood Education (5-9) or Adolescent Education (7-12)
- M.A.T. Program in Applied Music and Music Teaching *
- M.S.Ed. Program in Science Education
- M.A. Program in Social Studies Education
- M.S.Ed. Program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- M.A in Teaching Spanish 7-12
*These programs are housed in other departments. Students enrolled in these programs take several courses in Middle & High School Education.
Advanced Certificate & Extension Programs
- Advanced Certificate: Middle Childhood Extension, Grades 5-6
- Advanced Certificate: Science Education
- Advanced Certificate: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Advanced Certificate for Teachers of Languages Other than English (LOTE)
- Advanced Certificate: Bilingual Extension
- Advanced Certificate: Bilingual Extension—Intensive Teacher Institute
- Advanced Certificate: Human Rights Education and Transformative Justice