The following is a general checklist for School of Education students seeking their first initial certificate after official graduation from their teacher preparation program. Please review all details below.
- Completion of the required State Mandated Workshops
- Completion of Student Teaching/ Internship Course/ Seminar
- Must have a New York State TEACH Online Services Account
- Must be officially approved for graduation from a Teacher Preparation Program
- Completion of all required certification exams (NYSTCE)
- Must have fingerprint clearance on TEACH Online Services Account
For every general listing above, please see more detailed information below
Complete the required state mandated workshops:
All of the mandated workshops are offered by the Lehman College Office of Continuing Education (718) 960-8512
- Child Abuse Identification and Reporting Exam
- DASA (Dignity for All Students Act): Anti-bullying and Discrimination Training - State approved list of DASA Training Providers
- School Violence Prevention (SAVE)
- Needs of Students with Autism (Only candidates who are applying for certification in Speech and Language Disabilities and Students with Disabilities)
Complete a Student Teaching/ Internship Course/ Seminar
Most teacher preparation programs require require hands-on clinical experience. Students must pass their student teaching/ internship and seminar course with a minimum grade of B or higher. Consult with program adviser to plan when this course should be taken.
Complete a New York State Teacher Preparation Program
The majority of the School of Education programs are considered state approved teacher preparation programs at Lehman. This type of program prepares students to obtain their state certification after they complete all of the certification requirements and officially graduate. As part of the requirements for certification, students must be approved for official graduation by the Registrar on their record.
Pass the New York State Teacher Certification Exams (NYSTCE)
Visit New York State Teacher Certification Exams website for registration, scheduling, other testing information and a listing of all exams. The NYSTCE website is managed by Pearson on behalf of the state.
Educating All Students (EAS)
- This test consists of selected-response items and constructed-response items. Each constructed-response item will share scenario-based stimulus material with several selected-response items.
- The selected-response items count for 70% of the total test score and the constructed-response items count for 30% of the total test score. Each selected-response item counts the same toward the total test score. The percentage of the total test score derived from each of the constructed-response items.
- The total testing time is 135 minutes.
Content Specialty Tests (CSTs)
The CSTs (except those for languages other than English) consist of multiple-choice questions and a written assignment. The CSTs for languages other than English include recorded listening and/or speaking components and writing components. The American Sign Language CST includes video-recorded signing components. CSTs measure knowledge and skills in the content area of the candidate's field of certification.
Bilingual Education Assessments (BEAs)
The BEAs consists of multiple-choice questions and constructed-response assignments. They include recorded listening and speaking components in English and include listening, speaking, reading, and writing components in the target language. The BEAs are required of candidates seeking a bilingual education extension to a certificate.
If you need help preparing for the New York State Teacher Certification Exams, Lehman College Office of Continuing Education offers preparation workshops for some of the New York State Teacher Certification Exams:
- School of Education students must have their fingerprint clearance in two places. They must have their fingerprint clearance on their TEACH online account as the state will not issue ANY certificate without it. Students must also have their fingerprints taken by the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) to complete observations, fieldwork and their student teaching experience.
- All students who are taking SOE courses and who need assistance with fieldwork or student teaching placement must have fingerprint clearance with the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE).
- For additional fingerprinting information, please visit the Fingerprinting link on the Clinical Practice & Partnerships webpage.
- Once a student's prints are on file with NYCDOE, they should request for their prints to be transferred over to their New York State Teach Online Svcs account. You may have to complete the OSPRA 104 to grant New York City DOE permission to release copies of your fingerprints.
All applicants must create a NYSED TEACH Online Svcs account for everything regarding their teacher certification. Visit the NYSED website to create an account by following the directions.
For questions and assistance with certification, email the Teacher Certification Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.