We transform students into versatile, self-directed performing artists of the 21stcentury. Our liberal arts BA and multidisciplinary BFA programs challenge our students to develop the knowledge and skills as well as the conceptual, critical and creative perspectives necessary for a professional life in the performing arts.
Self-Directed Artists of the 21st Century
At Lehman College/CUNY, we believe that true artists possess broad-based knowledge and skills in their disciplines as well as vision—a conceptual, critical and creative perspective about themselves, the arts, and the world around them. In addition, we believe that to succeed in the performing arts in the 21st century, theatre and dance artists must collaborate across disciplines and produce their own creative work. That is, theatre and dance artists of the 21st century must perform, write, design, and produce for stage, film, television, and new media. Therefore, the faculty and staff at Lehman provide our students with the academic courses, creative experiences, and mentorship needed to transform our students into such versatile, self-directed artists.
Dance Learning Objectives
Goal 1: Demonstrate critical thinking about dance from historical, global, and diverse perspectives.
- Analyze in writing and/or in a presentation the development of dance, in human societies and cultures.
- Analyze in writing choreography from different periods and styles
Goal 2: Demonstrate skill in physical technique.
- Perform movement from different dance techniques with attention to alignment, style, quality, weight and rhythm.
- Demonstrate an understanding of anatomical and kinesthetic principles as they relate to alignment and expression.
- Use the body effectively as an instrument for performance with attention to areas including, but not limited to: range of motion, flexibility, strength, awareness, specificity, qualitative range and engagement with the imagination.
Goal 3: Demonstrate the ability to produce and present dance work in a public context
- Perform essential tasks in technical theatre in the areas of scenery, properties, costumes, lighting and sound on a theatrical production.
- Perform tasks related to self-production including: grant writing, concert preparation and/or portfolios/marketing materials.
Goal 4: Demonstrate the ability to create choreography for public presentation
- Choreograph and organize original works.