Despite its name, which reminds us of the river traffic which once plied Westchester Creek, the Village of Unionport, established in 1851, was devoted mainly to farming before its annexation by New York City in 1895. Today, the residential neighborhood is nearly in the shadow of the tangled highway overpasses at the heavily used Bruckner Interchange, where two interstate highways meet the approach to the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge.

[Back to Index]