Program Requirements for Undergraduate Secondary Teacher Education (Art, English, Mathematics, Science)***
Students pursuing teacher education must enter a formal program leading to a Lehman College recommendation for teacher certification, and then satisfy the specific requirements, often in a particular sequence. The entrance, continuation, and exit conditions listed below describe the procedures that need to be followed.
Secondary Education Requirements
Credits (26-30) in the following courses:
3 ESC 301
3 ESC 302
4 ESC 409**
3 ESC 429*
4-8 ESC 410-462
3 ESC 463
3 ESC 470 (Student Teaching)
3 ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar)
*** The Foreign Language and Health program have been discontinued and will not accept future applicants.
Entrance, Continuation, and Exit Conditions
To enter the program, students must:
1. File an application with the undergraduate advisor in the Department of Middle and High School Education;
3. Have an overall college index of 2.7;
4. Complete three writing intensive courses with an combined index of 3.0 or better.
5. Must have declared a major in the area of certification.
After entering the program, students must:
1. Consult with an education adviser;
2. Submit scores on the NYS Assessment of Literacy Skills Test (ALST);
3. Complete the appropriate subject area method course(s) (ESC 410-462).
To be eligible to enroll in Student Teaching (ESC 470) and ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar) students must:
1. Complete all education courses with a combined index of 3.0 or better.
2. Complete each Education methods course with a 3.0 or better.
3. Submit scores on the NYS ALST, Educating All Students (EAS) exam and CST Teacher Certification Examinations to the certification officer.
4. Must have successfully completed at least 75 percent of the requirements for the major in the area of certification with a GPA index of a 2.7 or better.
To exit the program and receive Lehman College's recommendation for New York State Teacher Certification:
1. Complete all course requirements as outlined above.
2. Complete student teaching with a grade of B or better.
3. Complete ESC 463 (to be taken during student teaching) and ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar with a grade of 3.0 or higher in each course.
4. Complete the major in the area of certification with an overall index of 2.7 or better.
5. Complete all degree requirements with an overall college index of 2.7 or better.
6. Complete one year of college-level study of a language other than English.
7. Complete three State-mandated workshops on (a) Child Abuse Identification and Reporting; (b) School Violence Intervention and Prevention; and (c) Training in Harassment, Bullying, and Discrimination Prevention and Intervention.
8. Complete all required NYS liberal arts and science requirements.
9. Submit passing scores on the ALST, EAS, edTPA, and CST.
10. Individuals seeking certification in foreign languages must submit scores for the ACTFL OPI (oral proficiency interview).
Additional requirements for undergraduate Middle School and High School Teacher Candidates in Social Studies:
1. Declare a major in History.
2. Meet with social studies education program coordinator.
Continuation and Exit Requirement
Successfully complete at least one 3-credit undergraduate course in each of the following social science areas: Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, Political Science, Economics, and Psychology.
Last modified: 9/3/2014