Program Requirements for Undergraduate Secondary Teacher Education (Art, English, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies)*
The Certification Sequence (13-16 credits)
In order to continue beyond the Minor and into the Certification Sequence as a teacher candidate, the student must meet the following criteria:
- Enter the Certification Sequence with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0;
- Complete half of the major courses; and
- Submit the Declaration of Academic Plan and Sub-plan (Leading to Teacher Certification) to the education adviser.
Teacher candidates must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and achieve a passing score on the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST).
The Certification Sequence comprises four additional ESC courses (13 credits)1: two (7 credits) in teaching methods and two (6 credits) in the Student Teaching Experience.
Teaching Methods and/or Special Needs Students
A teaching methods course ESC 410-462 (4 credits) for art1, English2, foreign language3, math4, science5, and social studies6 and/or ESC 463 (3 credits) Special Needs Education.
Student Teaching Experience and Seminar
Before entering the student teaching experience, candidates should submit passing scores from the EAS (Educating All Students) and CST (Content Specialty Test) certification tests.
ESC 470 (3 credits) Student Teaching in the Middle and High School
ESC 471 (3 credits) Student Teaching Seminar
In addition to completing the above ESC course requirements, the candidate must complete the following additional requirements to exit the program and receive Lehman College's recommendation for New York State Teacher Certification:
- All candidates seeking New York State Teacher Certification must have a minimum of 6 credits (two college-level courses) in each of the following four Liberal Arts and Science subject areas: Mathematical Processes, Scientific Processes, Concepts in Historical and Social Sciences, and English/Literature.
- Complete two semesters of college-level study of a language other than English.
- Complete three State-mandated workshops on (a) Child Abuse Identification and Reporting; (b) School Violence Intervention and Prevention; and (c) Dignity for All Students Act (DASA).
- Foreign language candidates must complete courses 3180 and 3190 in their language majors, and pass the ACTFL OPI (oral proficiency interview).
- Social studies teacher candidates must additionally complete 3-credit courses (for a total of 24 credits) with grades of C or better in each of the following social science disciplines: Anthropology, Economics, European or World History, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, and U.S. History.
4Math candidates complete ESC 432 and ESC 4480.
5Science candidates complete ESC 419 and ESC 467.
*The Health program has been discontinued and will not accept future applicants.
Last modified: 7/22/2015