Applying for Teacher Certification
Students who successfully complete a State-approved program in education are eligible for initial certification by the NYS Education Department. The certification process is as follows:
- The candidate completes the State-approved program in which the requirements specified by the NYS Education Department are met.
- The candidate files an application using his or her NYSED TEACH account.
- In collaboration with the appropriate program coordinator, the Certification Officer reviews the transcripts and related documents to determine whether the student can be recommended for certification.
- The Certification Officer enters an institutional recommendation for NYS certification.
- The State Education Department issues electronic certificates online.
Last modified: 11/20/2014