CUNY Teacher Academy
- About the Program
- The Curriculum
- About the Director
- Admissions Criteria and Process
- How to Apply
- Application Deadlines
- More Information
The Teacher Academy is an innovative and exciting program geared toward training and rewarding the mathematics and science teachers of tomorrow. Students are selected from a highly competitive pool of applicants who demonstrate exceptional academic skills and have a passion for mathematics or science.
The CUNY Teacher Academy offers:
- A four-year scholarship covering full tuition and fees for students who graduate and teach at least two years in New York City public schools;
- Paid internships each year to work with high school or middle school students;
- An additional Lehman College Foundation Scholarship for up to four years for qualified candidates;
- Study with exceptional faculty in science and/or mathematics;
- Hands-on experiences in New York City public middle schools or high schools;
- A full-time teaching position in a New York City middle school or high school after successful completion of the program;
- Opportunities to do research in math or science with CUNY faculty; and
- For a select group of Teacher Academy graduates, support for a master's degree in your field at a CUNY college.
Students in the Teacher Academy are challenged and inspired to make a difference—a difference in their own lives with an exciting new career in education and a difference in the lives of others, helping the next generation of students discover the wonder of science and the power of mathematics.
The Teacher Academy combines a rigorous academic program with early participation in the schools. Beginning their first semester, Teacher Academy students have the opportunity to observe the ways expert teachers connect with their students and motivate them to learn.
Lehman College is dedicated to preparing Teacher Academy graduates who:
- are committed to students’ learning;
- are sensitive to students with special needs;
- care about justice and equity;
- respect linguistic and cultural diversity;
- make a positive difference in the lives of their students;
- see students as having power over their own learning; and
- inspire a passion for learning.
Teacher Academy students at Lehman College acquire the background and tools needed to become effective and well-rounded educators in mathematics and science. They major in mathematics or science, with a minor in middle and high school education, and learn in a “college within a college” environment. They receive special advisement, as well as placement in small classes, and become part of a supportive community of fellow students and faculty.
Teacher Academy students have opportunities to work with nationally and internationally recognized faculty and to pursue undergraduate research with the guidance of faculty mentors. Students also take part in fieldwork in a local school setting. Fieldwork begins during the freshman year with observations and culminates with student teaching during the senior year. All fieldwork is linked to courses, providing a bridge between theory and practice.
About the Director
Dr. Gaoyin Qian is Acting Director of the Teacher Academy and Acting Associate Dean of Education. He taught in middle and high school before coming to Lehman College, where he has been a professor of literacy studies for 14 years. If you have any questions about the program, Dr. Qian can be reached by telephone at 718-960-8307 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admissions Criteria and Process
Applicants to the Teacher Academy must meet the following criteria:
- An average of 85 in math and science;
- At least three units of math; Math B is strongly recommended;
- At least three units of science;
- Average Regents exams scores of at least 75;
- S.A.T. verbal score of at least 550; S.A.T. math score of at least 600;
- Two recommendations, one of which must come from a math or science teacher or professor; and
- Demonstrated interest in teaching.
If you have admissions questions, please contact Mr. Anthony Davis, Associate Director of Admissions at Lehman College, at 718-960-7101.
Recruitment for Lehman's Fall 2008 Teacher Academy began in September 2007. All college counselors in the Bronx, as well as Westchester and Rockland Counties, have already received materials about the program. Recruitment events taking place during Fall 2007 will be posted on this page. Look for ads about the Teacher Academy Program in school and local area newspapers.
How to Apply
The way to apply for the Teacher Academy depends on whether you are a high school senior or already in college.
High School Seniors
High school seniors may apply to both the Macaulay Honors College at Lehman and the Teacher Academy at Lehman. If accepted to both programs, you may choose to participate in both; however, you must choose only one award package from either the Macaulay Honors College or the Teacher Academy.
If you are a high school senior and want to apply to Lehman College and the Teacher Academy with one application:
(a) Complete the combined CUNY General and Teacher Academy application at www.cuny.edu/teacheracademy. You will first need to create a CUNY portal account, and then select “The Freshman.” The application requires you to answer two essay questions.
(b) Submit two recommendations, one of which must come from a math or science teacher. Use the recommendation form posted below and mail the two recommendations to: University Processing Center, P.O. Box 350146, Brooklyn, NY 11235.
If you are a high school senior who has already applied as a freshman either to Lehman College, or to the Macaulay Honors College, and would also like to apply to the Teacher Academy:
- Complete the Teacher Academy Supplemental Application Form (posted below) and
- Submit two recommendations, one of which must come from a math or science teacher (use the recommendation form posted below).
Note: Mail the completed form and two recommendations to Mr. Anthony Davis; Associate Director of Admissions of Lehman College; 250 Bedford Park Blvd. West; Bronx, NY 10468.
If you are a current Lehman freshman and wish to apply to the Teacher Academy:
(a) Complete the Teacher Academy Supplemental Application (posted below) and
(b) Submit two recommendations, one of which must come from a math or science teacher or professor (use the recommendation form posted below).
Note: Mail the completed application form and recommendations to Mr. Anthony Davis; Associate Director of Admissions of Lehman College; 250 Bedford Park Blvd. West; Bronx, NY 10468.
Students at Other Colleges
If you are currently enrolled in another college and wish to transfer to the Teacher Academy, you must have been admitted into a program of study at your college that is aligned with one of the Teacher Academy majors at Lehman. These majors are mathematics, biology, chemistry, and earth science.
No more than thirty credits will be accepted for transfer. Final acceptance will be contingent on the submission of a transcript of grades from the Spring 2008 semester. Accepted students will be expected to spend three full years in the Teacher Academy.
To apply to the Teacher Academy:
- Complete the CUNY transfer admission application online at www.cuny.edu/teacheracademy. You will first need to create a CUNY portal account, and then select “Transfer Admission Application.” The application requires you to answer two essay questions.
- Send the completed Teacher Academy Supplemental Application;
- Submit two recommendations, one of which must come from a math or science teacher or professor (use the recommendation form posted below), and
- Submit an official transcript.
Note: Mail the completed application form, recommendations, and official transcript to Mr. Anthony Davis; Associate Director of Admissions of Lehman College; 250 Bedford Park Blvd. West; Bronx, NY 10468.
- The Teacher Academy Supplemental Application Form (PDF)
- The Teacher Academy Recommendation Form (PDF)
Completed applications for priority review must be received by January 15, 2008. Priority review will ensure that qualified applicants will be considered for admission into both the Teacher Academy and the program of their choice. Applications received after that date, until a final deadline of March 1, 2008, may be reviewed for possible acceptance at Lehman College and the Teacher Academy. Priority will be given to applications received before January 15, 2008.
Applications for admission must be received by April 1, 2008.
- For more information, contact the Admissions Office at 1-877-Lehman-1 or call 1-718-960-7101.
- Read more about the CUNY Teacher Academy on the CUNY Portal.
- Read more about the Programs of Study in the CUNY Teacher Academy at Lehman College:
- Math Course of Study (PDF)
- Biology Course of Study (PDF)
- Chemistry Course of Study (PDF)
- Earth Science Course of Study (PDF)