Using Microsoft Outlook for Windows with Lehman Mirapoint (Employee) Email
Revised Septerber 21, 2012
The following instructions were developed using Microsoft Outlook 2010 for Windows. However, the setup procedures for other versions of Outlook are similar enough that users of these versions should find the instructions useful.
Comments, suggestions or corrections regarding this document should be sent via email to email@example.com.
- For users who have Outlook set up with another email account
- Notes on using Outlook
- Synchronizing Calendars and Address Books with ConnectR
If you already use Outlook with another email account (e.g. an account on verizon.net), you should have at least one collection of folders (including an Inbox and a Deleted Items folder) containing your email messages appearing in the Mail navigation bar that is typically located on the left side of the main Outlook window. One collection is usually named Personal Folders. Folders in this category normally reside on your hard drive. Depending on the type and number of other email accounts you have set up, you may see additional folder collections.
To add your Mirapoint email account to Outlook on campus computer, please follow the instructions below:
- Start Outlook.
- Select Tools from the menu bar.
- Select Account Settings... from the Tools drop-down menu.
- On the E-mail tab on the Account Settings window, click the New button to add your Lehman Mirapoint account.
- On the Add New E-mail Account/Choose E-mail Service window, be sure Microsoft Exchange, POP3 ... is selected.
- Click Next.
- On the Add New E-mail Account/Auto Account Setup window, select the check box to the left of Manually configure server settings ...... and select Next.
- On the Add New E-mail Account/Choose E-mail Service window, be sure Internet E-mail is selected and select Next.
- On the Add New E-mail Account/Internet E-mail Settings window, enter the following settings:
Your name Enter your name as you want it to appear in the message header, E-mail Address Enter your full email address. In most cases this is firstname.lastname@example.org. Account Type Select IMAP from the drop-down list Incoming Mail Server (IMAP) Enter mail.lehman.edu Outgoing mail server (SMTP) Enter mail.lehman.edu User Name Enter the username part of your email address, usually firstname.lastname. Password Enter your password and leave the check box selected if you do not wish to be prompted for password when you check your mail; leave password field blank and deselect checkbox if you wish to be prompted for your password at the start of each session and the first time you send mail during the session. Passwords may be changed using Self Service Password Management (SSPM) system (http://www.lehman.edu/sspm). Remember to update the stored Outlook password when you change your password.
- Click More Settings.
- On the Internet E-mail Settings window, select the Outgoing Server tab.
- Select the checkbox for My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Select the Advanced tab from the Internet E-mail Settings window.
- Set the type of encryption connection on the Outgoing server to TLS. It is set to None by default. Only change the setting for the outgoing server. (The settings should be SSL in earlier versions of Outlook.)
- Click OK to return to the Add New E-mail Account/Internet E-mail Settings window.
- Select Next to return to the Add New E-mail Account window.
- Select Finish to return to Account Settings.
- Select Close to return to the main Outlook window.
Outlook will then attempt to contact the Mirapoint email server and log you in. You will be prompted for the password on the Mirapoint account if you did not enter your password during the account setup.
You should see a new folder collection in the Mail folder list labeled email@example.com under which you will find an Inbox containing your incoming Mirapoint mail. Since the contents of the Inbox reside on the Mirapoint server, the mail will remain accessible in Webmail from any computer connected to the Internet. Mail moved to a local folder under Personal Folders will be stored on your local hard drive and will not be accessible from Webmail.
To correct or change a setting follow the same steps but select Change on the Account Settings window in step 4 above.
When you delete (or move) a message from any of your Mirapoint folders using Outlook, the message is simply marked for deletion, typically with a line though the entry in the listing of the folder contents. To permanently delete the message:
- Select Edit from the menu
- Select Purge Deleted Messages
Since messages marked for deletion count against your quota, you should periodically purge deleted messages. Depending on your settings messages marked for deletion may be permanently deleted when you close your Outlook session.
Setting the default account
In the event you have multiple accounts set up on Outlook, one will be treated as the default. Mail you send appears to be coming from the default account unless you explicitly select a different account when you compose a message. To determine the default account:
- Select Tools from the menu bar
- Select Account Settings.. from the Tools drop-down menu.
The first account, highlighted in grey, is the default account
- To change this setting, click once on the account you want to be default and select the Set as Default button. The default account will move to the top of the list.
The ConnectR add-in allows you to synchronize your Outlook calendar and contacts with your Mirapoint web-based calendar and contacts. The ConnectR installation program can be downloaded from the web client (http://mail.lehman.edu). Contact the IT Help Desk for assistance.
Last modified: Sep 21, 2012