In this section
Advanced Certificate: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
This program is designed for students who already have a master's degree, who possess New York State teacher certification, and who seek additional New York State certification in teaching English to Speakers of Other languages (ESOL) Pre-K-grade 12.
TESOL Certificate Admission Requirements
1. Possess a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) with an overall index of 3.0 or better, and a liberal arts and sciences major of at least 30 credits from an accredited college or university. In order to be recommended by Lehman College for ESOL certification, candidates must have successfully completed a liberal arts and sciences core specific to ESOL teachers (see "Additional Requirements for Initial and Professional Certification in ESOL" below).
2. New York State teacher certification.
3. A master's degree appropriate for New York State professional certification.
4. Successful completion of minimum requirements in special education.
5. Demonstrate the study of a language other than English (12 credits) or an equivalent experience.
6. The study of cultural perspectives of one or more ESL populations (at least 3 credits).
7. Two (2) letters of recommendation and a 500-word essay on career goals.
8. Participate in an interview, which requires producing a writing sample in English.
9. Satisfy appropriate voice, speech, and health standards.
10. Meet additional Departmental, divisional, and New York State requirements, if any.
11. If conditionally admitted, meet conditions starting in the first semester and finishing in no more than three consecutive semesters.
TESOL Certificate Requirements
Students must consult with an adviser in the TESOL program before starting their certificate program. During their first semester, matriculated students are required to plan their program with a TESOL adviser. All students must complete the 24-credit curriculum below.
In order to be recommended for ESOL certification, candidates must (a) complete the Advanced Certificate: TESOL program with a cumulative index of 3.0 or better, (b) present passing scores on the ESOL Content Specialty Test (CST), (c) demonstrate successful completion of a liberal arts and sciences core specific to TESOL teachers (please see adviser for more information), and (d) meet any additional New York State requirements.
TESOL Certificate Curriculum
The 24-credit certificate curriculum consists of three instructional areas:
- Language Education (12): ESC 757 (3), ESC 759 (3), ESC 760 (3), ESC 725 (3).
- Methods, Materials, and Evaluation (9): ESC 727 (3), ESC 761 (3), and ESC 766 (3).
- Practicum (3): ESC 797 (2) and ESC 611 (1).
Last modified: 7/27/2015