Graduate Bulletin 2013-2015 » Academic Programs and Courses » Middle and High School Education » Advanced Certificate for Teachers of Languages Other than English (LOTE) (21-24 Credits) » Teachers of Languages Other Than English Advanced Certificate Admission Requirements
Teachers of Languages Other Than English Advanced Certificate Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university that meets the State's requirements for a general education core in the liberal arts and sciences.
- Master's degree in a language other than English.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully pursue graduate study by having a master's Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.
- Satisfy the content requirements for New York State Initial Certification in education in a language other than English, grades 712.
- Submit scores from the New York State Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) and the Spanish Content Specialty Test (CST).
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation and a 500-word essay on career goals.
- Participate in an interview.
- Satisfy appropriate voice, speech, and health standards.
- Meet additional Departmental, divisional, and New York State requirements, if any.
- If conditionally admitted, meets conditions starting in the first semester and finishing in no more than three consecutive semesters.
- Oral proficiency at the Advanced Low level on the American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Advanced Level Check Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). Candidates who do no score Advanced Low are accepted conditionally and must redo and pass the interview before completion of 9 credits.
Last modified: 7/27/2015