TESOL Admission Requirements
- Possess a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) with an overall index of 3.0 or better, and a liberal arts and sciences major of at least 30 credits from an accredited college or university. In order to be recommended by Lehman College for ESOL certification, candidates must have successfully completed a liberal arts and sciences core specific to TESOL teachers (see "Additional Requirements for Initial and Professional Certification in ESOL" below).
- Demonstrate the ability to pursue graduate study successfully by having an undergraduate index of B or a master's degree.
- For Sequence 1, possess New York State teacher certification. For Sequence 5, hold a valid New York State Transitional B certificate in TESOL.
- For Sequences 2 and 4, submit scores on the New York State Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST).
- Candidates seeking matriculation in Sequence 4 must meet with the adviser prior to applying for matriculation to determine eligibility.
- Demonstrate the study of a language and culture other than English (12 credits) or an equivalent experience.
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation and a 500-word essay on career goals.
- Participate in an interview that requires producing a writing sample in English, or, if the applicant resides abroad and cannot participate in an interview, present a Test of Spoken English (TSE) score of at least 55.
- If the undergraduate degree was earned in a language other than English, present a paper-based TOEFL score of at least 600 and a Test of Written English (TWE) score of at least 6, a computer-based TOEFL score of at least 250, an internet TOEFL score of at least 100, or evidence of a master's degree earned in English.
- Satisfy appropriate voice, speech, and health standards.
- Meet additional departmental, divisional, and New York State requirements, if any.
- If conditionally admitted, make up requirements starting in the first semester and finishing in no more than three consecutive semesters.
Last modified: 1/24/2014