In this section
M.S.Ed. Program in English Education
This program is designed for students seeking a master's degree in English Education, grades 7-12. Upon successful completion of additional certification requirements, including specified teacher examinations, candidates will also be eligible to receive both Initial and Professional Certification to teach English in New York State in Grades 7-12.
English Education Admission Requirements
- Possess a bachelor's degree in English or its equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- Have earned a minimum cumulative index of 3.0 in the undergraduate record.
- Submit scores on the New York State Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST)
- If conditionally admitted, make up undergraduate coursework starting in the first semester and finishing in no more than three consecutive semesters.
- Submit a 500-word essay outlining career goals.
- Submit two to three letters of recommendation.
- Participate in an individual interview.
- For Sequence 2 only, possess Transitional B certificate in Teaching English grades 7-12.
English Education Degree Requirements
All students will complete one of the following sequences: 36-45 credits (Sequence 1) or 33 credits (Sequence 2). All courses must be selected in consultation with, and with the approval of, an adviser in English Education. Application for this degree include the following:
Sequence 1 (36-45 credits): Candidates with an undergraduate degree in English or the equivalent who lack education courses and who seek initial certification in English Education grades 7-12.
Core Education (18-21 credits): ESC 501 (3), ESC 502 (3), ESC 529 (3), ESC 506 or the equivalent (3), ESC 522 (3), and for interns, ESC 595 (2) and ESC 611 (1) or, for student teachers, ESC 596 (3) and ESC 612 (3).
English Electives (9-12 credits): Consult with an adviser in the English Education program for the appropriate course(s) to satisfy this requirement.
Sequence 2 (36 credits): Teachers who hold a valid Transitional B certificate in English Education grades 7-12 from New York State.
English Electives (9 credits): Consult with an adviser in the English Education program for the appropriate course(s) to satisfy this requirement.
Master's Project (3 credits): ESC 708 (3). Culminates in an approved curriculum project.
Last modified: 5/10/2013