Transfer of Credit
Students who wish to have graduate credits transferred should apply during their first semester in attendance as a matriculated graduate student at Lehman using the Application for Transfer of Graduate Credit form available in the Office of Graduate Studies (Shuster Hall, Room 279). All credits to be applied toward a Lehman College master's degree are subject to the approval of the academic graduate adviser (or department chair) from the student's academic program and the Office of Graduate Studies. Transfer credits must conform to the regulations for the program and the curriculum in which the student is matriculated.
The following courses are eligible for transfer:
• Courses applied within the last five years toward a previously awarded and accredited graduate degree. (6 credits maximum)
• Graduate courses taken within the last five years at Lehman College as a non-degree student. (12 credits maximum)
• Graduate courses taken within the last five years at other accredited colleges where no degree has been awarded. (12 credits maximum)
The following transfer credit regulations apply to all matriculated Lehman College graduate students:
• With appropriate permission, a maximum of 12 credits in total may be transferred toward a Lehman master's degree.
• Grades of B or better in courses taken outside of Lehman College are required for eligibility.
• Theses and other culminating master's degree projects taken at Lehman College or at institutions outside of Lehman are not considered for transfer to Lehman College master's degree programs.
• Students matriculated in Social Work may request transfer credits only toward the special topics/elective requirement.
When students have taken more than 12 credits prior to matriculation, Lehman College courses will be given priority, provided they meet the College's requirements.
TRANSFER OF CREDIT INTO A LEHMAN ADVANCED CERTIFICATE OR EXTENSION PROGRAM
Transferring credits into an advanced certificate or extension program are subject to: the approval of the academic graduate advisor and Office of Graduate Studies, the regulations of the Lehman program in which the student is matriculated, and the guidelines of the College's Residency Requirement.
Restrictions on approval of credit, including restrictions on the maximum number of credits allowed from non‐matriculated to matriculated status, vary from one graduate certificate program to another. Therefore, consultation from the appropriate department is required to clarify the specific program requirements.
The following additional limitations apply:
•Courses must be graduate-level and must be taken at accredited institutions offering master's degree programs.
•Grades of B or better in courses taken outside of Lehman College are required for eligibility.
•Courses taken five years or more prior to matriculation at Lehman are not considered for transfer unless special circumstances are approved after consultation with both the Office of Graduate Studies and the academic department offering the advanced certificate or extension.
NOTE: Students who have completed nine (9) or more credits prior to matriculation at Lehman, as well as students seeking a second master's, are advised to fill out the application for matriculation at the earliest possible date.
Last modified: 5/10/2013