Financial Aid

Summer Financial Aid

Listed below are the various financial aid programs available for summer enrollment. Please be aware that this is in addition to standard eligibility criteria for each program. FAFSA and TAP applications must be filed annually. For filing information go to the FAFSA Instructions.


TAP must be specifically requested for summer on the TAP application. An estimated TAP award on the Bursar receipt is not an approval of the award! The TAP award certificate you receive by mail will note all terms for which TAP was requested and awarded, as well as the award amount(s). You may also review your approved TAP awards on-line at: To avoid any possible tuition liability you should carefully review your award eligibility as soon as possible.

Check with the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions. To be eligible for summer TAP, a student MUST be full-time either the spring immediately before the summer or the fall immediately after the summer. A student must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits for summer session I and/or summer session II combined. Half a TAP payment is used for less than 12 summer credits; a full TAP payment is used for 12 credits or more. Therefore, using TAP for the summer may decrease your eligibility for a fall or spring award. For more information please go to TAP Notice.


Only some Pell Grant recipients are eligible for a Summer 12 Pell Grant, due to recent complex changes to the Pell Grant program. Depending on the disbursed amount of your 2011-2012 Pell Grant (during Summer 2011, Fall 2011, and Spring 2012), some continuing students may be eligible for a 2011-2012 Pell disbursement for Summer 12. This is considered to be a "backend" disbursement from Academic Year 2011-2012. Eligible students are expected to be automatically awarded a "backend" Summer 12 Pell from 2011-2012 without any additional paperwork. Some of the "backend" requirements: After you have received two full-time semesters worth of Pell from your 2011-2012 eligibility, you will have to enroll in at least 6 credits/equated credits for the summer to be considered for a Summer 12 payment from your 2011-2012 eligibility. In addition, all CUNY systems must reflect that you have earned at least 24 credit hours in the 2011-2012 award year—and you must be taking at least 6 credits in Summer 12.

Students not eligible for Pell funds during Summer 2012 as a "backend" from Academic Year 2011-2012 may request a review to use part of their Academic Year 2012-2013 Pell award for Summer 12. Because of changes to the 2011-2012 Pell Grant program, in many cases, choosing this option is likely to reduce the student's remaining Pell for Spring 2013. To request this review, a student must file the appropriate paperwork in the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Direct Student Loan (FDL)

Direct Loans for the summer session are based on your new academic year FAFSA. In addition to filing the FAFSA and TAP applications, you must also file a Federal Direct Student Loan Request. The FDL request application may be submitted electronically through the CUNY PORTAL.

Summer applications for Direct Loan are usually accepted starting in May, once registration begins. A student must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits for summer session I and/or summer session II combined. A 2.0 Cum GPA is required for undergraduates; a 3.0 is required for graduate students. You can file one FDL application for Direct Loan for summer, fall and spring provided you are also registered for at least 6 credits for the fall term.


Summer SEEK awards are based on the new academic year FAFSA, PENDING AVAILABILITY OF SEEK FUNDS. SEEK students who have not already received 2 summer payments can receive Summer SEEK funding if they are registered for a minimum of 6 credits for summer session I and/or summer session II combined.

Work-Study (FWS)

Students awarded FWS for the new academic year may use their awards during the summer. Please visit the FWS web page for more information.

Last modified: Nov 19, 2012

Text Only Version of Site | Make This Website Talk