If you follow these musical rules,
1. The mission?To treat everyone as you would like to be treated. It's really NOT impossible, when you stop to think about it...
2. To have friends, you need to be a friend. Show that you care for others. When you see kids acting like bullies, tell them to stop! Same thing with teasing. When you see it happen, be a tease buster! Freeze the tease in its tracks. Remind the person doing the teasing that teasing hurts, and that it is not OK!
3. Everybody dreams of being popular. You can make that happen. Be a detective and help your classmates discover what's special about each one of them. It's important to be a friend to yourself, too! See, if you really like yourself, you'll just naturally like everybody else.
4. Of course, if we were angels, we'd have wings. Since we aren't...and we don't, it's only human to be thoughtless sometimes. Remember that when you're teased. Tell yourself that the teaser just forgot the rules. Try not to let it bother you, and review rule #2.
5. At the end of the game, the people who get the cheers are the people who lived their lives with kindness, with laughter and with joy. Here's how to help everybody get cheered. When you meet people who have lost their smiles, give them some of yours!
6. Want to feel like you're on top of the world? Pretend that right this very minute is a present. A gift. All wrapped up (it IS the present, after all, isn't it?) Hug your present. Take care of it. Share it with everyone else in your world. Don't wait 'til tomorrow to start following the rules--begin right now, because they will help make every minute a special occasion. Are you ready? Get set, and GO!
Joan Fleitas, Ed.D., R.N.
Last updated: November 19, 2004