Resources for Health Literacy
- Resources for Health Literacy - A Resource
Manual By Lauren Evans [PDF]
- Limited English Proficiency (LEP)
- Health Literacy Conference Downloads
Developing cultural proficiency and linguistically appropriate services in your practice is the right thing to do, and there is also growing pressure to do so:
- The National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health Care (CLAS Standards), issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health, have focused greater attention on these issues.
- The Office for Civil Rights' Policy Guidance on Title VI Prohibition Against National Origin Discrimination as it Affects Persons with Limited English Proficiency focuses on eliminating language barriers to care.
AAFP members appreciate how addressing language barriers can influence medical outcomes by improving access and the quality of services provided, reducing medical errors and increasing patients' adherence with care regimens. Not only can providing this appropriate and needed interpretation service to your patients reduce liability and malpractice claims, it can also contribute to the elimination of racial and ethnic disparities in health care.
For information about how to address language barriers in family medicine click here.
- 2011 National Healthcare Quality & Disparities Reports
- Poverty and Race Research Action Council
- AACP - Cultural Compentency: Selected Resources for Instruction [PDF]
- Bronx Wellness and Quality of Life Survey
- 2012 County Health Ranking
- Healthy People
- Health Research and Educational Trust - Disparities Toolkit
- Immigrants for Sale
- HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities [PDF]
- Neighborhod Poverty and Urban Crisis [PDF]
- NYC Department of Education - Data About Schools
- NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene - Community Health Profiles
- NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene - Epidemiology Services
- Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities
- Paso Del Norte Health foundation
- Policies for Healthier Communitites [PDF]
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in U.S. Health Care: A Chartbook
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation - Education and Health Calculator
- The Aspen Institute - Structural Racism and Community Building
- The Official New York City Website
- The Official White House Website - Health Care The Opportunity Agenda
- THRIVE: Tool for Health and Resilience In Vulnerable Environments