The following is list of required forms that must be completed by either Student and/or Internship Site Supervisor. The purpose of these forms is to evaluate the quality of the internship opportunity. Each form must be signed and returned to the Internship Coordinator located at the Career Services Center in Shuster Hall, Room 254. Failure to complete and return forms will cause an interruption of the internship experience.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print out the Internship Forms. You can download the reader free from the adobe web site.
- Learning Agreement Form [PDF]
- Student Internship Evaluation Form [PDF]
- Student Internship Site Evaluation Form [PDF]
- Am I eligible to do an internship?
- How long are internships?
- In what fields can I gain experience?
- Are interns paid? Can I earn credit?
- How do I apply for an internship?
- What happens after I meet with the Internship Coordinator?
- What happens if I am hired as an intern? What's the next step?
- The following steps will occur at the completion of your internship:
Must be a Lehman matriculated undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing. Some internships may require related course work and specific class standing (i.e. sophomore, junior or senior). Eligibility is also contingent upon you attending our Interviewing Techniques Workshop.
Internships are available during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters on a part-time or full time basis. The duration of an internship may be one semester or an agreed upon length of time between you and the employer.
You can gain experience in the following areas: Accounting, Business Management, Communications, Computers, Economics, Education, Environmental Affairs, Government, Health, Mathematics, Political Science, Psychology, Science, and Sociology,to name a few.
Many internships are unpaid, although some companies provide a competitive salary or stipend for carfare and/or meals. A student may receive CREDIT with approval from an academic department.
To apply for an internship you must do the following:
- Have a resume reviewed and approved by a Career Coordinator in Shuster 254.
- Register and attend an Interviewing Techniques Workshop . See receptionist for schedule in Shuster 254 or visit our website at www.lehman.cuny.edu/vpstud/careerservices.
- After (A) and (B) above are done, schedule an appointment with the Internship Coordinator before the semester you wish to do an internship.
Save your resume on a USB driver or Email account and bring to your session with the Internship Coordinator. Your resume will be uploaded to Lehmans online database College Central Network (CCN).
Periodically check the job bulletins, newsletter, and job books in Shuster 229 to identify potential internship opportunities. Always inform the Internship Coordinator of your findings and areas of interest.
Your resume will be circulated to companies seeking interns with your career interest.
If receiving academic credit make sure you register for appropriate course(s) through the academic department.
- Once you have been interviewed and offered an internship position, you must inform the Internship Coordinator as soon as possible.
- You will be required to complete a Learning Agreement with your site supervisor. This form outlines your goals and the duties you will be expected to perform. The Learning Agreement is a valuable tool used to evaluate the learning experience.
- Periodically, keep the Internship Coordinator posted on how your internship experience is developing.
- If you encounter difficulties at your internship site or have concerns about your assigned duties, please let the Internship Coordinator know so that you can be assisted.
- An evaluation of your performance will be conducted by your internship supervisor and returned to the Internship Coordinator for review.
- You will be required to schedule a follow-up appointment to further discuss your evaluation career goals and update resume.
- Once the Internship Coordinator has received your learning agreement, evaluation and conducted your follow up appointment a Certificate of Recognition and Completion will be awarded at the annual Internship Forum sponsored by Career Services.
Last modified: Oct 20, 2011