Faculty Craig Demmer
Academic Interests: HIV/AIDS, Poverty and health, Grief and Bereavement, End of life care issues, Health counseling, Global health, School health
Research Topics: End-of-life care, HIV/AIDS, Grief & Bereavement
Honors: Early Career Award, Public Health Education & Promotion Section, American Public Health Association
- Demmer, C., & Rothschild, N. Bereavement among South African adolescents following a sibling’s death from AIDS. African Journal of AIDS Research, 10 (1), 15-24, 2011.
- Demmer, C. Experiences of families caring for a child with HIV/AIDS in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: A qualitative study. AIDS Care (in press).
- Demmer, C. Experiences of women who have lost young children to AIDS in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: a qualitative study. Journal of the International AIDS Society, 13:50, 2010.
- O'Connor, M., Abbott, J., Payne, S. & Demmer, C. A comparison of bereavement services provided in hospice and palliative care settings in Australia, the UK and the US. Progress in Palliative Care, 17 (2), 69-74, 2009.
- McDermott, S. & Demmer, C. Analysis of end-of-life content in selected introductory health education textbooks. Illness, Crisis & Loss, 16(3), 237-257, 2008.
- Demmer, C. & Burghart, G. Experiences of AIDS-related Bereavement in the United States and South Africa: A Comparison. International Social Work, 51(3), 360-370, 2008.
- Oneschuk, D., Balneaves, L., Verhoef, M., Boon, H., Demmer, C., Chiu, L. The status of complementary therapy services in Canadian palliative care settings. Supportive Care in Cancer, 15(8), 939-947, 2007.
- Demmer, C. Coping with AIDS-related bereavement in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. AIDS Care, 19(7), 866-870, 2007.
- Demmer, C. Responding to AIDS-related bereavement in the South African context. Death Studies, 31(9), 821-843, 2007.
- Demmer, C. AIDS and palliative care in South Africa. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 24(1), 7-12, 2007.
- Demmer, C. Grief is a luxury: AIDS-related loss among the poor in South Africa. Illness, Crisis & Loss, 15(1), 39-51, 2007.
- Demmer, C. Confronting AIDS-related loss and grief: An exploratory study of professional caregivers in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. African Journal of AIDS Research, 5(2), 97–107, 2006.
- Demmer, C. Caring for a loved one with AIDS: A South African perspective. Journal of Loss & Trauma, 11(5), 439-455, 2006.
- Villa, D.P. and Demmer, C. Exploring the Link between AIDS-Related Grief and Unsafe Sex. Illness, Crisis, & Loss, 13(3), 219-233, 2005.
- Demmer, C. Children and Infectious Diseases (pp. 131-146). In D. Balk and C. Corr (Eds), Children Encounters with Death, Bereavement, and Coping. New York: Springer Publishing Company (2010).
- Demmer, C. Adolescents and HIV/AIDS (pp. 99-114). In. D. Balk and C. Corr (Eds), Adolescent Encounters with Death, Bereavement, and Coping. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 2009.
- Demmer, C. Review of Caregiving in Dementia: Research and Applications, Vol 4 B.M.L. Miesen and G.M.M. Jones (eds) (2006) . Abingdon: Routledge. International Social Work, 53: 137-139, 2010.
- Demmer, C. Review of Shattered Dreams? An Oral History of the AIDS Epidemic in South Africa by G. Oppenheimer & R. Bayer (2007). Death Studies, 33 (4), 388-394, 2009.
- Demmer, C. Review of Handbook of Social Work in Health and Aging by B. Beckman (2006). International Social Work, 51, 113-115, 2008
- Demmer, C. Review of AIDSAFARI: A Memoir of My Journey with AIDS by A. Levin (2005), Positively Alive, by A. Brand (2005), and Witness to AIDS by E. Cameron (2005) , Journal of Loss & Trauma, 12, 295-302, 2007.
Last modified: Oct 13, 2011