Internship Opportunities in GIS
The Lehman College Department of Environmental, Geographic, and Geological Sciences has an Internship Program for students concentrating in Geography Information Science (GISc). The Internships earn 4 credits towards a degree, and can be paid or unpaid. Students in the internship program are expected to work at the job site from 8-20 hours per week for the term, depending on the needs of the particular employer and student.
Internships can lead to full-time employment opportunities after graduation. Students completing an internship are well-placed to assume growth positions in the high-demand field of GIS technology.
Internships available for qualified GISc students during the Spring Term included positions with govermental agencies, environmental and community organization, and private consulting firms, such as:
- National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration - Cooperative Remote Sensing Science and Technology Center (NOAA-CREST)
- New York City Parks and Recreation
- The New York City Parks Department - Forestry Division; When you reach their home page, click on "Click to Enter."
- Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) - The Bronx Zoo
- Urban Data Solutions
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
- Great Swamp Conservation Center
- New York City Fire Department
- New York City Office of Emergency Management
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York State Senate Minority Leader's Office
- Integration Services Consulting
- The Long Island Orienteering Club (LIOC)
- The Rockland County Department of Planning
- Potomac Conservancy
- Westchester County GIS Department of Information Technology
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
- City of Boston Planning and Zoning Department
- City of Stamford Land Use Bureau
Last modified: Oct 13, 2011