Math Up Alumni
"Teaching Math With 'Growth' in Mind: Math Literacy and Assessment"
Saturday, March 8, 2014 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
This webinar will answer the following questions:
1. What is the urgency aroung growth?
2. What are best assessment practices?
3. How do I keep it growing?
1. understand the difference between numerical literacy and mathematical literacy;
2. review current trends in math performance nationally and internationally;
3. know the non-negotiable 3Rs of mathematical literacy;
4. understand the Common Core Shifts of mathematics;
5. understand fixed vs. growth mindest; and
6. become familiar with Common Formative Assessments and their role in the Data Team process.
It is important for teachers to know why there is urgency around teaching math effectively to students; therefore, we will examine a few data tables of student math performance in grades 4 and 8 nationally and internationally. The Common Core shifts require that teachers teach math differently and students "do" math differently. We will examine those shifts and how practice must change to meet the requirements of the Common Core. Most importantly, in this webinar teachers will understand the difference between understand fixed vs. growth mindest and how creating and administering common formative assessments and analyzing student work using the Data Team process. Teachers will learn how to choose priority standards, unwrap them, create CFAs aligned to them, and then track student progress over time.
All MATH-UP alumni and current cohorts are encourage to participate. Registration information will be sent via email.
Save the Date!
Below is a list of upcoming webinars hosted by ETS. Topics and dates are subject to change. Please check back here for more details.
- Making Use of Assessment Data
This webinar will discuss how teachers can best interpret and make decisions using assessment data. Prior to the webinar, teachers can provide unindentified assessment data for use as personalized examples.
- Common Core State Standards, Mathematics,
This webinar will take an in depth look at the CCSS for mathematics, along with the new assessments and describe strategies to help teachers implement them.
Missed any of the previous webinars? Click on the links below to view the PowerPoint presentations used.
- Your First Weeks as a Teacher: Managing Your Classroom and Your Career
September 14, 2013
- MATH UP Induction Group
- Mentoring form for first year teachers of record
Superintendent Verification of Mentored Experience Form
- Professional Development
Coursera provides Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) from institutions across the country and around the world. Some of these courses may provide a certificate of accomplishment for completing the course and/or count as professional development credits depending on your school (please check with your principal). To find a course(s) that might interest you visit Coursera.org
Meet Our Alumni
Last modified: Feb 27, 2014