Faculty Edward Jarroll
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 718-960-8764
Office: Shuster Hall, Room 302
Rank: Professor, Dean of Natural and Social Sciences
Degrees and Sources of Degrees: B.A., M.S., Ph.D., West Virginia Univ.
My interests lie in the study of protozoan biochemistry and metabolism especially as it applies to cytodifferentiation, energetics and chemotherapy. I am using Giardia intestinalis, the causative agent for giardiasis and a primary cause of waterborne intestinal disease in humans, as the model for these studies since we can now culture, excyst and encyst this parasite in vitro. The current focus of my research is the regulation and control of the pathway of N-acetylgalactosamine synthesis and subsequent cyst wall assembly which occurs during encystment.
G. intestinalis trophozoites encyst when induced by perhaps, because of cholesterol deprivation. Within 6 hr, OU, normally stimulated by Glc and inhibited by MTZ, doubles. By 12 hr, OU decreases and becomes refractory to stimulation by glucose or inhibition by MTZ. Also, trophozoites begin making cyst walls with membranous and filamentous portions. UDP-GalNAc is synthesized from endogenous Glc by enzymes, the activities of which are induced: GlcNH2 6-P isomerase (Gpi) reversibly converts fructose 6-P (F6P) to GlcNH26P which is reversibly acetylated by GlcNH26P N-acetylase(Gna) to GlcNAc6P and converted to GlcNAc1P by phosphoacetylglucosamine mutase (Pgm). Gpi's product, glucosamine 6-phosphate (GlcNH26P), activates UDP-N-acetylglucosamine pyrophosphorylase (Gpp) anabolically. GlcNAc1P and UTP are reversibly converted to UDP-GlcNAc by UDP-GlcNAc pyrophosphorylase (Gpp) and UDP-GlcNAc is epimerized to UDP-GalNAc by UDP-GlcNAc 4'-epimerase (G4e). The UDP-GalNAc is polymerized by "cyst wall synthase" into a polysaccharide, which, in conjunction with polypeptides, forms the filamentous outer cyst wall of Giardia (Fig. 1).
- Dudley, R., Jarroll, E. and Khan, N. (2009) Carbohydrate analysis of Acanthamoeba castellanii. Exp. Parasitol.(in press).
- Jarroll, E. L., Sener, K. and van Keulen, H. (2009) Giardan: Synthesis, regulation and Inhibition. In: Giardia and Cryptosporidium. CABI Press Dec. 2008 , Chpt. 31:. Pp.382-397.
- Ruqaiyyah Siddiqui1, Edward L. Jarroll2, and Naveed Ahmed Khan1 (2009) Balamuthia mandrillaris: staining properties of cysts and trophozoites and the effect of 2, 6 dichlorobenzonitrile and Calcofluor white on encystment. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology. Mar/Apr. 56:2008
- Sener, K., van Keulen, H. And Jarroll, E. (2007) Giardan: Structure, Synthesis, Regulation and Inhibition. CABI Pblh. April, 2009
- Jarroll, E. L. (2007) Biology and importance of Giardia intestinalis in human health. (Invited)In: Emerging Protozoan Pathogens. (Khan, N. ed.) Taylor and Francis Publ. London (reviewed and in press).
- Lopez, A. Şener, K., Trosien, J., Jarroll, E. and van Keulen, H. (2007) UDP-N-acetylglucosamine 4’-Epimerase from the intestinal protozoan Giardia intestinalis lacks UDP-glucose 4’-epimerase activity. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology. 54:154-160.
- Sissons J., Alsam S., Goldsworthy G., Lightfoot M., Jarroll, E. L., and Khan, N. A. (2006). Identification and properties of proteases from an Acanthamoeba isolate capable of producing granulomatous encephalitis. BMC Microbiology 6: 42.
- Trends in Parasitology. (2005). Giardia and Cryptosporidium join the ‘Neglected Diseases Initiative’. L. Savioli, coordinator. Contributors: Amber Appelbee, Andre Buret, Simone Caccio, Ron Fayer, Joke van der Giessen, Thecla Hekker, Paul Hunter, Ed Jarroll, Panagiotis Karanis, V. Kartachev, Peter Kohler, Titia Kortbeek, Mark LeChevallier, Theo Mank, Gertjan Medema, Paul Monis, Merle Olson, Tim Paget, Huw Smith, Andrew Thompson, Jules Tolboom, Peter Wallis.(in press).
- Erlandsen S., Jarroll E., Wallis P., van Keulen H.2005. Development of Species-specific rDNA Probes for Giardia by Multiple Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization Combined with Immunocytochemical Identification of Cyst Wall Antigens. Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry. 53 (8):917-927.
- Paget, T., Maroulis, S., Mitchell, A., Edwards, M., Jarroll, E, and Lloyd, D. 2004. Menadione-generated radicals kill Giardia intestinalis trophozoites and cysts. Microbiology. 150:1231-1236.
- Karr, C. and Jarroll, E. 2004. Cyst Wall Synthase: N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase activity is induced to form the novel GalNAc polysaccharide in the Giardia cyst wall. Microbiology. 150:1237-1243.
- Sener,K., Shen,Z., Newburg, D. and Jarroll, E. 2004. Amino sugar phosphate levels change during formation of the Giardia cyst wall. Microbiology. 150: 1225-1230.
- Jarroll, E. and Sener, K. 2003. Potential Drug Targets in Cyst Wall Biosynthesis by Intestinal Protozoa. Drug Resistance Updates. 6:239-246.
- Lopez, A., Sener, K. Jarroll, E., and van Keulen, H. 2003. Transcription regulation is demonstrated for five key enzymes in Giardia intestinalis cyst wall polysaccharide biosynthesis. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology. 128:51-57.
- Jarroll, E. L. (2002). Encystment in Giardia. In: Microbial Development under Environmental Stress. (Ed., Dr. Juan Carlos Gutierrez Fernandez, Spain). Pp.17-28.
- Gerwig, G., van Kuik, J.A., Leeflang, B., Kamerling, J., Vliegenthart, J., Karr, C. and Jarroll, E. 2002. Conformational studies of the (1-3)-N-acetyl-D-galactosamine polymer of the Giardia lamblia filamentous cyst wall. Glycobiology. 12(6):1-7.
- Jarroll, E. Macechko, P.T., Steimle, P., Bulik, D., Karr, C. van Keulen, H., Lopez, A., Paget, T., Gerwig, G., Kamerling, J., Vliegenthart, J. and Erlandsen, S. 2002. Giardia cyst wall filaments and N-acetylgalactosamine synthesis during encystment. In: Giardia: The Cosmopolitan Parasite, Olson, B., Olson, M. and Wallis, P. (eds), CAB International, Wallingford, UK. Chapter 2. Pp. 15-29.
- Khan, N., Jarroll, E., and Paget, T. (2002). Molecular and Physiological Differentiation between pathogenic and Non-pathogenic Acanthamoeba. Current Microbiology 45: 197-202.
- Jarroll, E., Macechko, P.T., Steimle, P., Bulik, D., Karr, C., van Keulen, H., Paget, T., Gerwig, G., Kamerling, J., Vliegenthat, J., and Werlandsen, S. 2001. Regulation of carbohydrate metabolism during Giardia encystment. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology. 48(1):22-26.
- Khan, N., Jarroll, E., and Paget, T. (2001). Acanthamoeba can be differentiated by the polymerase chain reaction and simple plating assays. Current Microbiology 43:204-208.
- Khan, N.A., Jarroll, E.L., Walton, D.S., Panjwani, N. & Paget, T.A. (2000). Proteases: a marker for differentiation of pathogenic and non-pathogenic Acanthamoeba. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 38:2858-2861
- E. Jarroll, B. Goldberg, D. Eichinger, K. M. Harris,, T. Paget, D., Lindmark, and H. van Keulen Nitric oxide effect on Giardia encystment. Third International Giardia and Cryptosporidium Conference. Orvieto, Italy. October, 2009.
- E. Jarroll, B. Goldberg, D. Eichinger, K. M. Harris,, T. Paget, D. Lindmark, and H. van Keulen, Regulatory Effect of Nitric Oxide on Giardia Encystment (Mini-conference oral presentation – invited). International Society of Protistology. Rio de Janiero, Brazil, Aug. 2009. (Poster)
- B. Goldberg, D. Eichinger, K. M. Harris,, T. Paget, D. Lindmark, H. van Keulen, and E. Jarroll. Metabolic enzymes are altered during Giardia Encystment. International Society of Protistology. Rio de Janiero, Brazil, Aug. 2009. (Poster).
- Naveed Ahmed Khan, Parisa Mortazavi, Selwa Alsam, James Sissons, Kwang Kim, Edward L. Jarroll and Graham Goldsworthy. Mechanisms associated with traversal of the blood-brain barrier by Acanthamoeba. Free Living Amoeba Meeting. 2009. Tenerife, Spain.
- Edward. L. Jarroll, Ricky Dudley, Ruqaiyyah Siddiqui, and Naveed Ahmed Khan. Biochemical analyses of Acanthamoeba and Balamuthia carbohydrates. Free Living Amoeba Meeting. 2009. Tenerife, Spain.
- B. Goldberg, D. Eichinger, K. M. Harris,, T. Paget, H. van Keulen, and E. Jarroll 2008. Nitrosylation of specific bioenergetic and encystment pathway proteins may exert metabolic control in Giardia and Entamoeba. Annual meeting International Society for Protozoology. Dalhousie University. Halifax, NS, Canada July, 2008.
- Jarroll, E. 2008. Synthesis of a novel b1,3 N-acetylgalactosamine polysaccharide during encystment. Invited speaker. Department of Microbiology. Medfield School of Pharmacy, University of Kent, Kent UK. May. 14, 2008
- Jarroll, E. 2007. Cyst wall formation in Giardia: Induced synthesis of a novel b1, 3 N-acetylgalactosamine polysaccharide during encystment. Invited speaker. Department of Biology. University of NC Greensboro. Mar. 20, 2007.
- Sener, K., van Keulen, H. And Jarroll, E. (2007) Cyst wall formation in Giardia: Induced synthesis of a novel b1,3 N-acetylgalactosamine polysaccharide (Giardan) during encystment. Second International Conference on Giardia and Cryptosporidium. Morelia, MX. May 13-19. (Invited).
- Jarroll, E. Encystment as a target for drug design. 2005. International Congress on Anaerobic Protozoa. Sardinia, Italy. Sept. 17-20. (Invited Keynote).
- Sissons, J., Alsam, S., Goldsworthy, G. Lightfoot, M., Jarroll, E. and Khan, N. Identification and properties of a novel metalloprotease, isolated from an Acanthamoeba granulomatous encephalitis isolate belonging to T1 genotype. Presented at Free Living Amoeba Meeting. Ceske Budjeovice, CZ. Sept. 5-9, 2005.
- Jarroll, E, Sener, K and van Keulen, H. (2005) Characterization of an inducible UDP-N-acetylglucosamine pyrophosphorylase in Giardia intestinalis. Abstract presented at the 12th ICOP. Guangzhou, China. July 12.
- Newburg D, Sener K, Zuojun S, Jacewicz M S and Jarroll E. Quantification of Aminosugar Phosphates by Capillary Electrophoresis. FASEB J 2003;17:A164. (Presented at Experimental Biology 2003, San Diego, CA, April 11-15) Jarroll, E. (2004). Encystment as a target for drug design. Invited platform speaker. 4th International Giardia Conference and first combined Giardia/Cryptosporidium meeting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. September, 2004.Sener, K., Shen, Z., Newburg, D. and Jarroll, E. (2003). Levels of sugar phosphate intermediates in Giardia change during encystment. International Congress on Anaerobic Protozoa. Hilo, HI. July, 2003.
- Jarroll, E. (2003). An update on the synthesis of Giardia cyst wall filaments. International Congress on Anaerobic Protozoa. Hilo, HI. July, 2003. (invited keynote)
Sener, K. Lopez, A., van Keulen, H.and Jarroll,E.(2002). UDP-GalNAc pyrophosphorylases in Giardia. 10th International Congress of Parasitology, ICOPA X, Vancouver, Canada. August 3-9, 2002.
- Jarroll, E. L. (2001). Carbohydrate metabolism during Giardia Encystment. Meeting of Anaerobic Protozoologists. Prague, CZ. July 2001.
- Jarroll, E., Lopez, A., van Keulen, H., Trosien, J. Sener, K., and Argyros, F. (2001) UDP-GlcNAc 4’-epimerase is a second inducible enzyme in Giardia intestinalis encystment. International Congress of Parasitology. Salzburg, Austria. July, 2001.
- Paget, T., Jarroll, E., Steimle, P., Meridith-Middleton and Bulik, D. (2000). Preliminary characterization of a non-encysting strain of Giardia duodenalis. Canmore, Alberta, Canada. October 2000.
- Lopez, A., Jarroll, E. and van Keulen, H. (2000). Cloning, sequencing and expression of Giardia’s UDP-GlcNAc 4’-epimerase. Canmore, Alberta, Canada. October 2000.
- Jarroll, E., Macechko, P.T., Steimle, P., Bulik, D., Karr, C., van Keulen, H. Paget, T., Gerwig, G., Kamerling, J., Vliegenthart, J., and Erlandsen, S. 2000. Regulation of N-acetylgalactosamine synthesis during Giardia encystment.. Giardiasis in the Rockies. Biochemistry Section presentation. Organizer of the Section. Canmore, Alberta, Canada. October 2000.
- Jarroll, E., Macechko, P.T., Steimle, P., Bulik, D., Karr, C., van Keulen, H. Paget, T., Gerwig, G., Kamerling, J., Vliegenthart, J., and Erlandsen, S. 2000. Regulation of carbohydrate metabolism during Giardia encystment. In the symposium entitled “Encystment: Sugar coating the protozoa.” Joint Annual Meeting of the Society of Protozoology and the American Society of Parasitologists. San Juan, PR. June 22-30. Symposium organizer.
- Khan, N. A., Lunt, D. H., Jarroll, E. L., & Paget, T. A. (June 4 – 8, 2000). Acanthamoeba can be differentiated clinically by the polymerase chain reaction and simple plating assays. American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Conference, Boston, MA, USA.
Khan, N. A., Jarroll, E. L., Panjwani, N. (September 10 – 14, 2000). Pathogenesis of Acanthamoeba infections. 8th European Multicolloquium of Parasitology Conference, Poznan, Poland.
- Khan, N. A., Lunt, D. H., Jarroll, E. L., & Paget, T. A. (September 17 – 22, 2000). Molecular Systematics of the Protozoan Acanthamoeba. 11th Annual Molecular Parasitology Meeting, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, USA.
- Reviewer for Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 2005-present
- Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, Ad Hoc Reviewer, 2003-present
- Board of Reviewers - Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology (Journal of Protozoology), 1993 1999, and 2001-present
- Reviewer for Parasitology Today, 2000
- Reviewer for Parasitology Research (as required)
- Reviewer for National Academy of Sciences/US AID, 1996
- Board of Reviewers Applied & Environmental Microbiology, 1996-present
- Reviewer for Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 1995
- Reviewer for Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, 1995
- Reviewer for American Heart Association, Summer Fellowship, 1994-present
- Reviewer for Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 1994-present
- Reviewer for International Journal of Parasitology, 1994-present
- Reviewer for Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 1992-present
- Reviewer for Microbiological Reviews, 1991-Present
- Reviewer for Journal of General Microbiology, 1990-Present
- Reviewer for Journal of Parasitology, 1989-Present
- Reviewer for Journal of Protozoology, 1989-Present
- Reviewer for Journal of Lipid Research, 1988
- Reviewer for Addison-Wesley Co., 1979
- Grant Reviews for National Institutes of Health (as required)
- Grant Reviews for National Science Foundation (as required)
- Grant Reviews for National Environmental Research Council (United Kingdom)
- Grant Reviews for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Grant reviewer for U.S. Department of Agriculture (Giardia/Trichomonas)
- Grant Reviewer for the Wellcome Trust (London, United Kingdom)
- Reviewer for Thrasher Research Fund
- Member Research Allocation Committee (NEOA) American Heart Association 1996
- Reviewer BBSRC United Kingdom
Last modified: Oct 13, 2011