Calling all graduates! Did you earn a Bachelor's or Master's degree from Lehman College with a major or minor in Music? Please keep in touch! We would love to hear from you and to post your latest accomplishments here. Please send an email to email@example.com or call 718-960-8247.
Recent Alumi Accomplishments
Yumi Suehiro (BS, 2009), performed Ligeti’s Piano Concert in Florida as part of the contemporary ensemble Mis-En and will performing newly commissioned works in Bushwick in April 2017 http://ensemble.mise-en.org/
Darian Worrel, (BS, 2014) sang the title role in Eugene Onegin in Salzburg Austria
Recent Music Alumni
- Steve Sobers (BS, 2015), Simple Notation Music Publishing, Barbados
- Ronald Smith (BS, 2014), Drummer and Music Director, Carnival Cruise Lines
- Caleb Shepart (MAT, 2014), Music Teacher at Mahopac Middle School
- Jennifer Byers (MAT, 2014) Music Teacher at Promise Academy 2 Harlem Children’s Zone
- Kevin Moore (BS, 2014) Music Teacher / Pop Band Director at Harrison College, Barbados; founding member of fusion jazz group 1688 Orchestra
- Gary Pozner (MAT, 2012) ESL Specialist at Family Life Academy IIII Charter School and Composer / Sound Designer at Whirled Music, LLC
- Keren Plowden (BS, 2012), Media Producer at Lehman College and The Digital Distillery; part of Emmy Award Winning production “Best of the Bronx”
- Steven Oquendo (BS, 2011) leader, Steven Oquendo Latin Jazz Orchestra
- Brian Cole (BS, 2011) Bandmaster, Barbados Defence Force Band
- Jason Trenczer (BS, 2010; MAT 2012) guitarist in heavy metal and covers bands: Generation Kill and Vinyl Meltdown
- Yumi Suehiro (BS, 2009) Piano Soloist and Member of Mis-EnContemporary Music Ensemble https://www.yumisuehiro.com/bio/
- Annie Shreffler (BA, 2007) Digital Features Producer at WGBH, Boston Public Broadcasting
- Paul Ramirez (BS, 2007) Chief Operating Officer, Mainland Media, LLC, Managing Partner, The Bronx Beer Hall, LLC
Bob Stewart received his Masters in Education from Lehman College. He has taught music at the award-winning jazz band at LaGuardia High School of Music and Art and the Performing Arts and at Julliard. He was a Distinguished Lecturer at Lehman College from 2004-2009. A world-renowned jazz tuba player, Stewart has toured and recorded with such artists as Charles Mingus, Gil Evans, Carla Bley, David Murray, Taj Mahal, Dizzy Gillespie, McCoy Tyner, Arthur Blythe, Freddie Hubbard, Don Cherry, Nicholas Payton, Wynton Marsalis, Charlie Haden and many others both in the United States, Europe and the Far East. He is also a composer and freelance musician. His most recent CD "Heavy Metal Duo" was recorded with Ray Anderson.
Alumnus Ray Grappone is a drummer-percussionist and record producer who has played in the orchestras of many Broadway and Off Broadway productions, including Stephen Sondheim’s “Saturday Night.” He has recorded and performed with Carole King, Bette Midler, Petula Clark, Martin Short, and many others. He is cofounder of Hipbone Records, an independent record label specializing in blues, soul, jazz and groovy underground dance music. He has also recorded with contemporary bands, including Open Door and Jesus H. Christ & the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse.
William Rodriguez was founding principal of the Celia Cruz High School for Music in the Bronx. Rodriquez plays the piano with the Johnny Pacheco Orchestra and has his own Latin jazz trio. He has toured with Libre and Machito Orchestras, and played on the 1982 Grammy-winning album “Machito and his Salsa Band in Holland.” He has three degrees from Lehman College: a bachelors and two masters, including a masters in teaching music. He received his Ed.D from Columbia University Teacher's College.