Faculty: Teresita Levy
Photo credit: Aracelis Diamantis
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Phone Number: 718-960-1165
Office: Carman Hall, 282
Rank: Assistant Professor
Degrees and Sources of Degrees: B.A., Rollins Coll.; M.S., Long Island Univ.; M.A. and Ph.D., City Univ. of New York.
Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Haiti
Tobacco cultivation in early 20th century Puerto Rico; the dissemination of scientific material in rural Puerto Rico.
Honors & Awards
- Travel Grant, Lehman College, City University of New York
- San Ignacio, Belize, Spring 2013
- San Juan, Puerto Rico, Fall 2012 and Spring 2011
- Amsterdam, Netherlands, Spring 2010
- Santiago, Dominican Republic, Spring 2009
- Faculty Fellowship Publication Program Grant, City University of New York, Spring 2012
- Writing Across the Curriculum Fellow, Lehman College, City University of New York, 2009
- PSC/CUNY Grant, Lehman College, City University of New York, 2008
- Puerto Ricans in the Empire: Tobacco Growers and U.S. Colonialism, 1898-1940 (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, December 2014).
- “Tobacco Growers, Resistance and Accommodation to American Domination in Puerto Rico, 1899-1940.” In Jonathan Curry-Machado (ed.), Global Histories, Imperial Commodities, Local Interactions (Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan Ltd., 2013).
- “Tobacco Growers and Resistance to American Domination in Puerto Rico, 1899-1940.” Commodities of Empire Project, Working Papers Series (ISSN 1756-0098), 2010. http://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/ferguson-centre/commodities-of-empire/publications/.
- “En mi viejo Nueva York: el bolero como documento histórico de la diáspora puertorriqueña” in El bolero en la cultura caribeña y su proyección universal, ed. Darío Tejeda, Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic: Instituto de Estudios Caribeños, 2010.
- “My father, the vacuum, and a little tembleque for Thanksgiving.” Interfaith Family Magazine, www.interfaithfamily.com. November 2007.
- “Feliz Año Nuevo and Shana Tovah.” Interfaith Family Magazine, www.interfaithfamily.com. October 2005.
- “Ay Vey: A Kosher for Passover Puerto Rican Easter Dinner.” Interfaith Family Magazine, www.interfaithfamily.com. April 2005.
- “From tostones to matzoh: A Puerto Rican-Jewish journey.” Interfaith Family Magazine, www.interfaithfamily.com. December 2004.
- “From the farm to the museum: The agricultural history of Puerto Rico.” Viva Magazine, (The Daily News Sunday supplement). June 2, 2002.
Last modified: May 27, 2014