The School of Arts and Humanities Dean's Office
Shuster Hall, Room 382
250 Bedford Park Boulevard West
Bronx, NY 10468
Phone: 718-960-8675 / Fax: 718-960-8548/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department and program faculty members are responsible for initiating curriculum changes. Prior to initial submission of new and/or substantially revised degree programs, faculty must first discuss said major curriculum revisions, additions and/or inactivations, with the Department Chair and the School's Deans. See the Lehman College Senate Curriculum Committee links below to find curriculum-change templates and for any and all curriculum work. Also see departmental faculty curriculum advisor listed below, all are especially helpful with curriculum proposal formatting.
After working with the departmental faculty curriculum advisor to complete the curriculum changes/proposal, submit it to the Department Chair. Once the Chair obtains departmental support, 51% or simple majority of the full time department faculy is required, they will forward the approved proposal to Sophia Diamantis-Fry (email@example.com) in Academic Programs, Office of Academic Affairs.
Next, she will distribute the proposals to (a) the Associate Provost for Academic Programs, b) all school Deans and Associate Deans, and c) the Senate Curriculum Committee Chairs. All will review, and the associated Curriculum Committe Chair will bring the proposal to the Lehman College Senate, where a vote will take place.
Lehman College Senate curriculum proposals are then forwarded to CUNY's central office for final approval. Once final approval is obtained, those curriclum changes will be reflected in the following Chancelor's report. From there, the curriculum changes are entered into the College's Smart Catalogue and they will appear in the Bulletin.
- ARTS AND HUMANITIES DEPARTMENTAL FACULTY CURRICLUM ADVISORS
- LEHMAN COLLEGE SENATE CURRICULUM COMMITTEES
- LEHMAN COLLEGE SENATE SCHEDULE
- CUNY DEADLINE CALENDAR
- CONTACT INFORMATION FOR CURRICULAR CHANGES
- PROCEDURE FOR PROPOSING CURRICULAR CHANGES
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS INVENTORY
- SAMPLE APPROVED PROPOSALS
|African and African American Studies||Mary Phillipsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Journalism, Communication, Theater
Christine McKenna & Claudia Case
|Languages and Literatures||Marco Ramirezemail@example.com|
|Latin American, Latino, and Puerto Rican Studies||
Click here to link to the Lehman College Senate Curriculum Committees
Associate Professor Vincent Prohaska (718-960-8776) is the Chair of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee.
The UCC meeting is one week before the Senate items deadlines, and the UCC items deadline is always one week prior to that.
- UCC meeting schedule
Professor Janet DeSimone (718-960-4993) is the Chair of the Graduate Studies Commitee.
- Deadlines and meeting schedule for the Graduate Studies Committee
Click here to link to the Lehman College Senate Schedule
During the academic year, departments should allow at least two weeks (and more, for complex proposals) prior to the items deadline to enable proposals to go through both the School and Senate curriculum committees.
Departments are strongly advised to send a representative to all Curriculum Committee and Senate meetings in which departmental proposals are discussed.
Click here to link to the CUNY Deadline Calendar.
Proposals approved by the Lehman College Senate proceed to the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs (OAA), the Committee on Academic Program, Policy, and Research (CAPPR), and the CUNY Board.
Lehman College must approve any University Curriculum Committee recommendations before proposals proceed to the CUNY Board. Courses can be added into the Smart Catalogue within a week of CUNY approval. Afterourses will appear in the online Lehman Bulletin about a month after they are entered into the Smart Catalogue.
The CUNY Deadline Calendar explains how long it will take for final CUNY approval after proposals have left the Lehman Senate. As the Calendar indicates, the date for likely CUNY approval depends on when Senate-approved proposals arrive at the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs.
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Chair: Associate Professor Vincent Prohaska (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dean, School of Arts and Humanities: Professor Deirdre Pettipiece (email@example.com)
Associate Dean, School of Arts and Humanities: Associate Professor Gina Dominique Hersey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For an outline of the curricular change process, departments may refer to this guide:
To propose curricular changes in Courses, in Degree Requirements, to add New Courses, or to Withdraw Courses, department faculty must complete and submit the corresponding following templates:
- Form for Change in Course Description/Hours/Credits/Number/Co or Prerequisite/Title/Alpha Code and/or Note
- Form for Change in Degree Requirements/Admission Requirements/Area of Concentration Requirements and/or Dept Grade Requirements Progression Criteria
- Form for Experimental Course/New Course/New Course with Cross Listing
- Form for Withdrawel of Course/Minor or other Curricular Matters
As departments prepare the “Changes in Degree Requirements” form, they should consult the Academic Programs Inventory for Lehman College for the following information:
- The “Program Code”, used by the New York State Education Department to register programs, is the five-digit number that appears at the top left of each entry in boldface.
- A program’s “Hegis #” (Higher Education General Information Survey) appears on the left in the form 0000.00.
- A “Major Code,” used by the Lehman College Registrar to keep track of majors, is the three-digit number that is indented from the left-hand margin.
Last modified: Dec 18, 2015