Faculty: Mark Christian
Mark Christian received his B.A. (Hons.) in Sociology & American Studies from Liverpool Hope University, his M.A. in African & African American Studies from The Ohio State University, and his Ph.D. in Sociology from The University of Sheffield, England. He is a senior Fulbright scholar recipient, a former research fellow at the University of London's Institute of Commonwealth Studies, and is currently a visiting fellow at the Department of Sociology, The University of Liverpool. He arrives at Lehman after spending eleven years at Miami University of Ohio, where he taught courses in African Diaspora Studies with a comparative analysis of the UK and US; and courses in sociology, such as social stratification and race and ethnic relations. His research interests primarily stem from a historical/cultural lens taking into account the social construction of knowledge and social identities. Currently, he is the book review editor for the Journal of African American Studies. His latest interdisciplinary research interests include the Liverpool Black Atlantic, African American music influences on The Beatles, and the development and struggle of African & African American Studies as a field/discipline in the 21st Century.
- Mark Christian. (Ed.) Integrated but Unequal: Black Faculty in Predominately White Space (Africa World Press, 2012)
- Mark Christian. (Ed.) Black Identity in the 20th Century: Expressions of the US and UK African Diaspora (Hansib, 2002)
- Mark Christian. Multiracial Identity: An International Perspective (Macmillan/St. Martin’s Press/s, 2000)
- Mark Christian (with Stephanie Y. Evans, Guest Editors) ‘Africana/Black Studies at the Graduate Level: A Twenty-First Century Perspective’ Western Journal of Black Studies. 34. (2) (Summer 2010)
- Mark Christian. (Guest Editor) ‘Marcus Garvey and the Universal Negro Improvement Association: New Perspectives on Philosophy, Religion, Micro-Studies, Unity and Practice’ Journal of Black Studies 39 (2) (November 2008)
For further information see CV (pdf file).
Last modified: Jun 24, 2014