Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
With over three decades of success, Lehman College's School of Continuing and Professional Studies has a long tradition of serving adult students, offering flexible, innovative, customized, accelerated and affordable undergraduate and graduate degree programs. With flexibility as a guiding principle, these special features have helped thousands of professional adults complete their degrees, begin new careers, advance in their current fields and achieve self-fulfillment.
The new M.A. in Liberal Studies Program is an interdisciplinary 36-credit degree program that allows students to design and pursue an individualized course of study among several different departments at Lehman College.
Students take a 12-credit core of Liberal Studies courses and 18 credits of graduate electives from various departments. The final requirement is to write a Master's thesis under the supervision of a faculty adviser.
Total: 36 credits - Core Courses (12 credits)
- MLS 701 Introduction to Liberal Studies
- MLS 702 The Arts and Humanities
- MLS 703 The Social Sciences
- MLS 704 The Natural Sciences
Electives (18 credits) to be chosen by the student and adviser
- 6 credits out of the 18 credits of electives can be earned through PLA
Credits for Prior Learning
- PLA credits are earned through volunteering, employment, or U.S. military service
Thesis (6 credits)
- MLS 797 Master's Thesis Preparation
- New York state residents: full-time matriculation $4,105 per semester; part-time matriculation $345 per credit (not including fees)
- A bachelor's degree with at least 3.0 GPA (grade point average) or its foreign equivalent from an accredited college or university
- In exceptional cases student with a cumulative undergraduate GPA below 3.0 may apply by special petition.
- Submission of an autobiographical letter
- Submission of a tentative course list related to the area intended to be pursued as a concentration
- Two letters of recommendation
- Application fee: $125
Spring 2017 Semester Application Deadline: TBA